Mike Walker, How did your wishbone socket fix fare over the last 11 years???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mike Walker, How did your wishbone socket fix fare over the last 11 years???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I am in the process of repairing a spare 1915 pan for my touring car. The pan came on an engine I bought that was in really good shape, but had spent a lot of time getting drug around and bounced on it's oil pan. So, while the pan is in bad shape, I'm fixing it up just for the fun of the task. I will be replacing the ears, straightening the half-teacup which is dented, replacing the nose hardware with an NOS pieces that Langs is selling. Along with all of this, the wishbone socket is wore out. Now I realize that a good fix is to braze it up and use a ball-mill to make the new socket, but I found this thread from 2005 about a fix that Mike tried. I'm curious to know if he put this pan to work and how well the fix "panned" out... ha. Mike, let's hear from you :-)

Here is the thread from 2005: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/36800.html?1191983186

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

I was going to weld up the socket and have my brother-in-law mill it until he called back and said the tool would cost me $350!! I started looking for a better pan right away, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Don.. Read the link I attached above. It is a clever fix and evidently, was an old-school repair used back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

James -- As far as I know the fix worked out fine. I drove the car for many thousands of miles after that, finally selling it. It has sold a couple of times since, ending up in England. I haven't heard of anyone's having a problem with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Thanks Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

There was a tip in Vintage Mag from sometime in 1997 about doing this to make the car easier to drive for touring--better road holding straight ahead but a little bit more effort in turns. Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration