Fun Projects pinion bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fun Projects pinion bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I'm going to replace the thrust washers in my '25 coupe and am thinking of installing the Fun Projects pinion bearing set-up at the same time. Is there a big advantage to using the adjustable kit vs the regular one? Is one easier to install, or better than the other? I already have one of their voltage regulators that works perfectly, so I'm not questioning the quality of the device, just the difference in the two kits. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Bruce, I have done a couple different styles of the pinion bearing set up, I did like the Fun project one better since you could add shims where needed. There is another style out there that has three allen bolts on the outside of spool for adjustment, I was a little nervous of this style coming loose or moving down the rode. Just my thoughts on this subject! Hope this helps.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I recommend giving John Regan a call, he is a great guy and will be happy to explain why he offers both the baseline non-adjustable and the adjustable options.

http://www.funprojects.com/contact.aspx

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

My suggestion is that you replace the thrust washers. If the gears and bearings are ok try to get the same clearance it had before and use the same parts. The gears are worn to fit and any adjustment will just cause high spots which can lead to failure. Or it can make the gears noisy.

If you are going to replace the gears then I would suggest you look into the new pinion spool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

I have done both the original Ford design and the shim version of the Fun Projects. The shim version is fairly easy to set up, follow the MTFCA Rear Axle booklet, dont leave home without it.
Both work but shim version is probably a little easier to set up to he recommended spacing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

I second Mark's suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Thanks for the input guys. Actually, I'm toying with the idea of installing a 12 tooth pinion (new) with a 39 tooth crown (mint used) to get a 3.25 ratio. I'm still a little gun shy as I've got both negative and positive feedback. The car is a '25 coupe with a stock motor and a Z head. It also has Lockwood outside brakes and runs extremely well. Thanks again : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

I have used several Fun Projects pinion bearings and they work great. I spoke with John about them at the beginning, and he said the non-adjustable ones work fine (which they do). He said he offers the adjustable ones for folks who "just like to tinker with things."

Bruce -- Since you want to change from the perfect original 11:40 gear ratio, you might want to get the adjustable one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Bruce:

Give me a call tomorrow at 630-584-1471 and I can explain the 2 options and help you decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Something I've noticed when I was searching through posts for info on rebuilding the rear differential;

It seemed to me that individuals were running into trouble by attempting to shim the pinion Too much with the Fun Projects kit.

Now I'm guessing the reason is that is seems easier to shim the pinion gear for deeper mesh, rather than take everything apart and shim the carrier up?

When we did ours I noticed that the pinion gear, even when just using the one thick shim, (stock apparently) looked Very close to the carrier, so much so that I was concerned about the cotter pin possibly turning and interfering with the case.

I couldn't imagine shimming it any further, so in order to get the right mesh we put thicker thrust washers in the axle and moved the ring gear towards the pinion.

Worked like a charm and everything was good after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Thanks again for the valued input guys. I took the advice given by Mark and Steve, and phoned John, and got a very detailed explanation of his products. His recommendation was to go with the regular version. I also asked for his thoughts on going to a 3.25 ratio, and he offered several convincing reasons for staying with the stock ratio, and none towards changing it. I'm sure glad I phoned him. Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration