How do I install studs in wire wheel hubs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do I install studs in wire wheel hubs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

I recently bought two used wire wheel rear hub. Two of the studs were damaged and I acquired two replacement studs. I managed to press out the damaged studs, using lots of backing up and pressure, so both are out.... Now I have to install the replacement studs and it is not proving easy. I tried pressing one in and it cocked to one side. Holding it vertical was not easy and making it line up with the indent on the drum impossible ( to me). So I found a large nut and tried to pull it in using a long wrench, but now the stud turns when I tighten the nut.
How should it be done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

This might be a very dumb idea because i do not know the press fit but can you get dry ice?? Everything would have to be done quick!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

The studs should be a snug fit but not that tight, bet you are using the wrong studs. The originals were put in place then swedged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

And the proper way to remove them is with a special drill, like a hole saw that cuts the swedged area off, so they then should just push out easily. The new ones should also push in fairly easily, then you need a press and the swedging tool to set them--it takes some tons of pressure, so you do need a press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Here is a link to the removal tool from Langs.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2883RT.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

And here is a link to the installation tool from Lang's.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2883T.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Tony,
You may have distorted the holes pushing them out without removing the swedging first. Check to mace certain the machined area is still flat and true, and that the hole has no distortions.
A good brake shop will have these tools and the press to re-swedge the new studs. The tools aren't cheap, so it's usually better to pay a shop to do the job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration