Los Angeles Assembly Plant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Los Angeles Assembly Plant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Saturday the Southern California Model T Club had a tour to the original Ford plant located at Santa Fe and 7th St. It opened in 1912 and was used through 1929. Ford opened a new plant on Terminal Island in 1930, and the Los Angeles plant was closed. The site will be re-opened soon, and restored to it's original appearance, and will be adaptive re-use for various businesses etc. They are building a 400 car parking lot next door for vehicles. Even the original water tower is still on the roof, but will not have the Ford script as I was hoping for, but will say Ford Motor company building. I Googled it, and there is a picture of the building when it was new, with the Ford pyramid over the entrance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Well gee, post the picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

One minor correction: The new plant wasn't on Terminal Island. It was at the mainland end of the drawbridge.

Aerial view of the Long Beach plant in 1930.

The Long Beach Ford plant in the 1950's, looking SSW. Henry Ford Avenue and the Henry Ford Bridge are on the right and center. Terminal Island is in the distance, across Cerritos Channel. I well remember crossing the bridge many times and seeing the rows of new Fords outside the factory.

The only picture I found showing the Los Angeles plant is this artist's rendering of the planned incarnation. You have to be careful with Google images. Entering "ford los angeles assembly plant" brought up pictures of Highland Park, Cleveland, a Chrysler plant, and dozens of other other wrong images.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

I drove by the plant a few months ago and the scaffolding wasn't up yet. This Google Maps image is from December.

LA Plant

(Message edited by brianeliason on February 15, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Wow, the construction fences sure got tagged. If I was the contractor,I'd paint over all of immediately. I HATE tagging!
The way it's cocooned, I assume they are doing lead paint removal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

That artist's rendering makes it look like a nice neighborhood, but it's still in the middle of downtown 'Hell-A'. Hope they can keep this place in good shape after the rehab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

This plant turned into the Mercury plant at some point and when it closed the Mercury guys mostly went up to the Ford Assy Plant in Pico Rivera where I worked as a Millwright until it closed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration