How does a 26 - 27 gas tank vent ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How does a 26 - 27 gas tank vent ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

that's the question. Is there supposed to be a vent hole in the gas cap ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Yep, gas cap is the vent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

I have one somewhere but I can't find it to take a picture. The cap has a vent on both the top and bottom of it. The cap has a thin bottom section to it so there are 2 holes in the cap. The bottom hole is in the picture Dan posted. There is also one in the top of the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Thank you Paul and Dan. The replacement caps don't have a small hole in them and cause trouble. Thank you thank you thank you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Reproduction cap, very authentic and correct for '24-'27, Lang's 2901BQ.

Made just like original, air vent/splash guard, die cast is $44 but nice!

Looks like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

What Dan said. My 26 had an original cap in it but it was warped, and/or distorted from time and would not screw in much past a 1/4 turn. I bought one from Lang's and it fit perfectly and had the vent holes in it. Then I bought a gas cap with a gas gauge in it off of T Bay and have no idea where my good reproduction cap is now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:07 am:

It was my '27 Coupe that we were working on. I have the brass plated repop cap with no vent of any kind. I usually just keep the cap a bit loose but had tightened a bit due to a full tank. After going around the block, I started losing power & the car would barely run. I drilled a 1/16th hole in the "O" in Ford and it seems to work fine now. If I get some sloshing, I'll look into a baffle or another cap with baffle.
Thank you for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Probably over half of the late gas caps, which are used from '25-27 are swollen, and will not screw into a tank, so before buying one be sure to try it out first. The baffle plate falls out sometimes too, because they were crimped in. They were never plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Bill, I had the same cap as you do. I fit a nice O ring to it one day without running the engine. A few weeks later when I took the car out the engine kept dying. It took me over an hour to remember that I had put that O ring on it. Left the cap loose and got home OK. A small hole drilled in the cap got rid of that problem, although I didn't think to hide it in the "O" of the Ford script! ;)

I went all out and spent the 44 Dollars on the repop cap.

I found a chunk of the original cap in my tank, not to be taken lightly by the superstitious: part number T-1313

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration