Rear floorboards for a 1926-'27 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear floorboards for a 1926-'27 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Hi all,

Anyone have some dimensions and/or good pictures to post showing how the rear floorboards for a '26-'27 are made? Are they supposed to be like the front or are they cut in half from front to back? Have front ones but want to make a new rear set and have a piece of 5/8" plywood to fabricate them with.

Thanks.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

The Body Parts book lists two boards, rear seat toe, and rear heel.

But was easier to make a one-piece board, from plywood too, drilled hole for lifting, and made it fit the opening. Had to bevel the corners to fit flush.

Measurements determined by what your rear opening needs.

the rear opening has a wood cross piece for support of the board(s)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Thanks Dan. There was a board in mine but it appears to be not original, as it goes all the way back to the heel panel and sits on top of the curved part on the bottom of the front seat back. The support cleat in the middle appears to be about 1/2" thick? Will have to fabricate one for mine as it is missing.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Is a '23 Touring different?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Paul, The 26/27 Tourings has a steel subframe while the '25 and earlier tourings had a wooden structure, so yes, the dimensions of the rear floorboards is different on a '23.
Dan Treace made a drawing of the rear floorboard for his '24 Touring - it should fit your '23 I think?

See the dimensions in this thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/133561.html?1270311320

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:54 am:

On my '26 Touring they are split front to rear in a left and a right. The left, driver's side, has a round finger hole in it to make it easy to pull up to check the battery. I have no reason to think they are not original to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Roar, could you upload pictures of yours, including dimensions of the brace under it? The second image Dan posted appears to be a u shaped steel channel over a wood cleat. Mine is missing, and is the right board on yours attached to the body with screws? There are some holes near the door sill that may be used for that purpose.

Thanks.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Photo from Ford of Canada, new Improved touring, but you really can't see detail of rear floorboards. As the Body Parts book lists 2 # for the boards, seems they should be 2 piece, one with hole for lifting.

And Lang's catalog shows 2 piece offering. Their product is nice, have bought front floorboards from them.

Alex, no steel over the wood cleat, the body should have two small brackets with twin holes for mounting stove bolts thru the wood cleat. But with body changes in '26-'27 maybe not all have this? Touring bodies in the USA I have seen do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Sorry Alex!
My T is across the ocean and not very accessible right now, and I don't have any pictures of that area. If you'll volunteer to send me an airplane ticket to Sweden, I'll take as many pictures as you'll like. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Noticed the Canada pic showed no buttons in the uph. Thought 26-7s had buttons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Jon Anderson makes very nice floorboards the way they are supposed to be done, It is possible he may have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Here's some photos of the rear floorboard in my 27 Canadian touring car. I believe this floorboard to be original to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Alex , if you need more detailed pictures or any other info, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Thank you guys. That is what I was looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:10 am:

It seems this thread was resurrected by a recent post. Dave W, thanks for the picture of the rear floorboards. I did already make one out a single piece of plywood, but after seeing yours I may make one like that to be more 'correct'.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration