Essential repair books?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Essential repair books?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

I can't find the thread where someone mentioned a good book (s) for getting familiar with the model T. I'm all eyes, if you experts want to make some suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/616012.html?1455558358

The red one is good restoration info. The black one is dealer instructions step by step. The orange one is a factory parts book for 1927 and shows pictures of parts and their part numbers. These are still available through most T Parts vendors. There are other parts books that might be more helpful depending on the year of your car but the 1927 also covers many earlier parts. Steve Jelf has some wonderful videos on different restoration procedures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

To begin with I would buy the Model T Ford Service manual. This will get you started on the repairs that you might do on a Model T.

The MTFCA has several different repair booklets on this website. They are listed under the publications section on the home page. There is one for the front and rear axles, engine, transmission and etc.

Whats really helpful is the parts catalogs from the parts houses.
Langs, Macs, and Snyders will send you one for the asking.

The parts catalogs can give you an idea of what part goes where and what they might look like for different year T's.

The key is to read and study them. They will give you an idea of WHAT NOT TO DO when you begin working on your T.

Have the Model T Service manual next to your easy chair so you can look and study it when your relaxing.
A lot of questions that get asked are answered in the publications. The old saying is when in doubt read the instructions. It works most every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:30 am:

The book isn't called a manual. It is simply the Ford Service book, and originally was published by Ford in 1925, with the improved car added the following year. Even originals show up frequently. I've seen them advertised for $20-$50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Anyone have a copy of The Original Book of the Ford? I see it on eBay UK all the time. Just wondering if it has useful information not found elsewhere.

While not a repair manual I have found the little book, The Ford Text Book by E. F. Hallock to have some really good theory for understanding the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:24 am:

I have two of the "MODEL T FORD SERVICE " books and they are invaluable. I keep one by the computer and one in the shop. Chapter ! -Disassembling the car to Chapter 42 servicing the Improved car. As some say this is the Model T bible. I say if your problem in not in here you don't have a problem. My copy by my computer is clean, but the on in the shop has some soiled pages. I shows it has been used for reference. It is a must have. There are other books that a guy should get as he goes along. Get a Lang's parts book and look in the , front and see what is listed and move accordingly, and check pages 5 thru 13 and govern yourself accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Gale, you may want to look at this link
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/19fomotsema.html
It appears to be a reprint of the 1919-1927 Model T Service book mentioned by others above (printed previously with a green cover and currently with a black cover). The copy I bought is an 8 1/2" by 11" version with a blue and white cover. The font size is larger and the pictures are clearer, in my opinion, than in my copies of the green and black versions. This larger size version is available at the link mentioned above.

I do not have any interest in the companies that sell any of these books and only offer this as information which others may find useful. I agree with others that the Model T Service book/manual and the other Manuals from the MTFCA are very good and useful books to have. The catalogs from the parts suppliers, especially Lang's and Mac's, are very helpful with their parts diagrams.

Hope this is helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

I'd like to add one more book to this bibliography: The Model T Ford Owner by Murray Fahnestock.

The Ford Service book is an excellent book, but the methods of repair assume that you have a full inventory of new Genuine Ford parts in the room next door. So many times it simply suggests that you replace the worn one with a new one. So when it says to check the crankshaft bearings and if worn more than .001 out of round, replace the crankshaft with a new one. Yeah, right. That repair method is not going to work for most of us.

In contrast, Fahnestock's book is for the hands-on mechanic who is trying to make do without that fully stocked parts room next door. Fahnestock also reviewed many of the accessories for Fords available in that day. It is very well written, easy and entertaining to read.

One of my Model T mentors once told me he had two copies of the book: one he kept in his shop, and the other on top of the toilet tank. He could cite chapter and verse from anywhere in the book if called upon to do so.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:51 am:

The Ford service manual can be read online: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html

The owners manual was a service manual light back in those days - it's also online here (1921 version): http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I like Trents post on the new parts in the same building. I'm lucky in that regard, I tend to keep plenty of NOS and good used parts on hand for when the need may arise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Thanks everyone. I bought some of the books you all suggested. I am eager to begin my T education. Considering I am currently a full time student, it just seems fitting to add a bit of our automobile history to my studies.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration