Pre 1917 T's with starters, other than the crank.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pre 1917 T's with starters, other than the crank.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:03 am:

With in the group are there cars with original engines built before 1917 that have aftermarket starters? Example Gray-Davis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:16 am:

I had a 1917 touring with an original engine and a foot operated starter. Yes there is room for one more pedal and it turned the crank thru a series of chains and wheels. It would give just over 1/4 turn for each push. The car is now sold and I believe it ended up in England.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

I seen a rope pull starter on a 12
Rope inside the car went out to set up like on a lawn mower at the front of the engine worked really well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

i have for my old age a gray & davis & a splitdorf starters that were made for fords. mark friymiller has one on his webb site for sale. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Is the one what Mark has can be used as a Foot Starter or one needs to use it with a Key?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

But ---- are there forum commenters who are driving or own pre-1917 cars with operating aftermarket starters? If so share experiences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Jack Putnam has an original aftermarket starter on his '14 Touring. He restored it himself and it works great. I've seen it at the OCF, and he demonstrates it often there. I don't remember which make it is however.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Clymer's "Henry's Wonderful Model T" lists a number of Rube Goldberg type starters in the accessory section. Levers, pulleys and chains galore. Oddly there aren't any manufacturer's names mentioned in the ads. Prices range from $5 to $10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

I know that Jack Putnam, poster here, does run this brass T with aftermarket starter and generator.

Maybe he will comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

The Westinghouse brand is on Mark's eBay store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-1909-1918-Accessory-Starter-Generator-/4007 46185346

Most of the electrical ones came about at the storage battery times, 1913 to 1917 or so, advertisements fell to zero in 1919.

One issue of FordOwner, Sept 1914 shows ads from these makers of electric self starters: R.C. Wells, Leece-Nelville Co., Kemco Electric, North-East Electric.

And mechanical starters from the driver's seat by: Home Light, Boston Starter, Ever-Ready, Gemco, and Mogul Starter Co. !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

How does the one on eBay attach to the T? And what is missing from it? Did it go in the front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

the mounting bracket is all there but there is no drive,charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:52 am:

i have a rockway self starter. not on the car, and never played with it yet. here's our last discussion on it http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/400538.html?1384141182

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration