22 goes reverse when should be low gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 22 goes reverse when should be low gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Woodson on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Hello everyone I am new to this page but have used it on the last 2 model T I have built. I am having a weird problem with the one I am currently getting drivable for a customer of mine. When you push the pedal to go forward it goes reverse, when I push the reverse pedal it goes low gear? How is that possible? This engine and trans did get gone threw at some point in the last 30 years. Engine runs fine. Could something be going on with the triple gears in the transmission? Or somehow a band adjustment? Thank you very much any input is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Have you been into the rear end? Wouldn't be the first time someone put the ring gear on the wrong side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Rear axle is assembled backwards. Ring gear on the wrong side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Woodson on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

I have not been into the rear end at all. That makes perfect sense. Thank you both very much. I have manuals but have not been into the rear end. Is it pretty straight forward to take apart and flip it around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Ring gear in backwards. Happened many times back in the day. Pull the rear end apart and reassemble correctly with bronze washers. Get the MTFCA manual on the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Travis,

Yes, assuming everything else is o.k., it's easy to flip the insides around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

If the rear end is actually backward, which I think it is, it would also run backward in high gear. Probably best to make this check with the wheels on jack stands. It wouldn't be safe to drive backward in high.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

The only way that the car can go forward with the transmission in reverse and vice-versa is if the rear end was put together wrong. It's not difficult to put the rear axle together correctly but, I would suggest that you fully rebuild it while it's apart because more than likely there are several worn out parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

The innards inside the housings are a unit..both axles and diff. carrier. Easy to swap over into the left housing goes the ring gear.

My bench mount is marked in event of a Senior Moment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Travis I agree but easily checked pull the diff plug if you blocked by a medal disc it's backwards if you see diff case it something else

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:11 am:

When there's a 50-50 chance of putting something back together the same way it came apart, 85% of the time you will put it together WRONG.
I recall reading in a Model A magazine years ago about a publicity stunt two guys pulled in 1928 to promote the new Ford. They purposely switched the ring gear to the opposite side of the rear end of their roadster so that they had three speeds in reverse and one forward. Then they DROVE the car that way - backwards - from California to New York. In the late 1960's, a couple MAFCA members did the same thing with a restored '30-31 roadster to publicize the upcoming MAFCA convention that their club was hosting later that summer. Both stories appeared in old issues of "The Restorer".
I'm sure some enterprising Model T guys did the same thing "back in the day". Can you imagine backing up all the way across country (3000+ miles!), looking over your shoulder the whole time, just to get your picture in the newspaper with your name misspelled?
Marshall

Marshall, the optimist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:40 am:

If not already done, replace the babbitt thrust washers with bronze replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:42 am:

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Yep, the rear axle put together backwards makes for a weird first drive. Don't ask how I know! :-)

Not a hard fix, just takes some time and the rear spring can be a pain to reassemble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Travis, if someone drove the car before you worked on it, they would know about the car going the wrong direction in low.
There was a posting some years back about a rear end being rebuilt. The owner ran into the front garage wall as he pressed in the reverse pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

That is a good assumption.

(Message edited by 6volt on February 17, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Bill, I think you meant to add your post to a different thread? :-)

Aha! I saw your post in that split second before you edited it! :-O

(Message edited by cudaman on February 17, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Shucks! Mark, you caught me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I've always wondered who ended up with Laurel and Hardy's T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

One way to get a low mileage car. Just run it in reverse for a few thousand miles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration