Newbie here and need help 1923 ford model t, but what ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Newbie here and need help 1923 ford model t, but what ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim & Marilyn Boyce on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Hello all, We're newbies to this site and have found a barn find.. We would like to know if this is real or has someone made a cool looking 23 ford model t wooden pickup ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.. I will upload a few photos for you to view and hopefully come up with some sort of conclusion for us ?? Thank you, Marilyn & Jim..1923 Ford Model T wooden pickup or ??1923 Ford Model T wooden pickup or ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Looks like somebody fabricated a wood firewall, body, and pickup bed and put them on a Model T chassis, but I like it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Looks like the seat might be from some horse drawn carriage of some sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

It definitely looks home-made, but cute! That railing/top bracket piece going around the seat MAY be from an earlier than T Ford, you'll have to get someone that knows them to verify.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Eighty-nine years after the last model T was made, many of them are a mixture of parts from various years. This cutie is one of those. It's mostly Model T of different years, with some home-made improvisations. As the nephew in Tobacco Road said, "It don't hurt the runnin' of it none."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

I like it! It looks like a fun car to have. It is not a high dollar barn find but if is available for a reasonable price and you want it, I would fix it mechanically, put a horse blanket on the seat, and have a great time driving it as it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:41 am:

A bitsa. Bits of this, bits of that. Can be a lot of fun! I do hope you didn't pay a lot for it. It has lots of possibilities. Everything from getting a proper Ford factory body for the chassis, or a speedster, or depot hack, or, clean it up a bit and have fun with it basically as it is. You should do a few safety maintenance things to it. That is not expensive if you can do most of the work yourself. And that is part of the fun of model T Fords.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:01 am:

J & M,

You asked, "is it real". By that, I assume you meant, did Ford make this. No, Ford did not make that body. However, that's not really a negative. In the days of the Model T, there were dozens of companies that made aftermarket bodies for T's. Many of them produced bodies very similar to the one on your car. Still more folks, who happened to be handy, made their own bodies. The latter is probably what you have. Because they were "home built", with sometimes widely varying skill levels, some look better than others. My opinion is that yours, once cleaned up, will look very nice. It has good proportions and nice styling. So, to answer your initial question; it's an authentic Model T chassis with an aftermarket "express" style truck body.

As others have pointed out, it would not be in the higher price bracket. However, it's a nice looking, legitimate Model T. I can also assure you, no matter how scarce/valuable a given T is, or is not, one thing remains constant: the fun you have owning and driving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Huge fun potential there!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

If you get it, this is a good read for new people. It was posted here some time back and is a good primer for driving a T.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

What a great find. You will have lots of fun with it. Looking forward to some new pictures when you get her cleaned up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Mitch Taylor has some good videos on how to drive. http://www.fordmodelt.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

That is gonna be one fun little car!
Can't wait for more pics!
I like the narrowing portion of the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim & Marilyn Boyce on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Thank you for the great tips and comments.. We'll have to yard it home here in a few days.. We need to get underneath and into everything to see where we and the little T stands.. Jim & Marilyn...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim & Marilyn Boyce on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Huge question.. Is there anyway to tell what body was on this chassis from the factory.. I got the year from the engine.. Need to find the frame ID number hopefully, on the frame somewhere ?? Thanks...Engine number23 model t23 model t23 model t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Unless the frame is a 1926 (late) or 1927, there is no frame number. If there is one, it should be on the passenger side top frame just in front of the seat. Your pictures don't shoe much of the frame so I can't tell the year type. A forum search should tell you how to determine the 26/27 from from earlier frames. There was a good post in the 2015 forum on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:37 am:

The frame appears to be a 1925 & earlier and some frames were stenciled - I have an early frame w/cast running board braces that is clearly stenciled "touring".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:42 am:

According to the book "Model T Ford, the Car That Changed the World", engine 8166986 was one of 7005 engines assembled on August 8, 1923. August 1923 would be very early in the 1924 model year.

If it is the original engine that was installed in that frame, the frame will not have the engine number stamped on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:50 am:

No frame numbers were stamped before December, 1925 (1926 model year).

If the hand brake quadrant has four rivets, the frame is 1924 or earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

I don't know what Oregon requires for VIN numbers, some states will accept the motor number, which is what was originally used, other states (Like Califunny) want a frame stamped number. So, there are some pre-26 Ts around here with the engine numbers stamped on the frame where the post '26 numbers were stamped.
You may read between the lines here. . .
Looks neat, if I'm up visiting my brother in Ashland, I'd love to look at it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration