Rear spring on my 21 huckster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear spring on my 21 huckster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Looking at my rear spring after the question about the oiler, I had looked before but I just found a photo of it some time back. Man it's time for some spring work before spring. The spring is getting sprung. The spring where it goes out from the arch is almost parallel to the rear axle housing. Guess I will have some sag when I get that old, heck I getting some sag now! :-) I have thought for a long the time that the front one was sitting on the low side.
Re the front spring. Could someone with 30 inch wheels check the height from the ground to the bottom of the cross member. I know it may be a little different between cars but would be a base to start with.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Mark

Here is the factory spec for black era chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Thanks Dan
Re front spring
The drawing in the Essentials is not as detailed as that one. The 10 inches (11 inches for rear) from the center of the front wheel to top of side rail will be useful. I checked and got just under 18 3/4 inches from the floor to bottom of the cross member at the crank.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Mark

Thanks, for reference just measured my '23 cut off the same way. From cement to bottom of the cross member at the front spring clip (crank) too.

18 1/2"

But on the front axle am running the '26-'27 spindle housings, which have a 1" or so drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Today I was looking at "The Model T Ford Owner" and found on page 153 some figures, it shows 25 from ground to top of frame side rail and 26 for the rear.
Your measurement puts mine about 1 +/- low at the front, not bad. :-) I'll go out later and check the front against the 25, the rear will have to wait. It's wet and cool and I don't feel like messing around in the rain to get to the rear of the car tonight.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

:-) Good news! I was able to check both ends. The front is about 1/2 inch low and the rear about 1/2 inch high. I would still like to arch the front spring a little more. Would make oiling the shackles easier.
Thank you for your help.
MarkG
Oh! I did take the tire being 31 inches in to the figures.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration