Roadster trial build

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roadster trial build
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:30 am:

Today I finished the trial build on the frame of my roadster. First fitted and adjusted were the front fender to frame brackets. The front fenders fitted with little persuasion.

The splash panels were more difficult. The left one rubbed hard on the fender and I was forced to alter the front edge to get it to fit. Of interest was the need to elongate one of the holes where the panel fits the body mount brackets. That fixed distance did not compute.

Neither rear fender fitted well. I ended up having to move the LH splash panel forward 1/2" to get it to line up. More elongated holes, and the need to re-fill the hole for the hood latch and re-drill it.

The hood shelves fitted nicely, so well I might use these rather than the ones I have already restored.

This car has rubber covered wooden running boards. This drops the join where the fenders bolt up, so I had to adjust the fender to splash panel bracket.

It's all back in pieces now to work on getting the panels ready for painting.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Alan,
Must have been rewarding to see the car starting to resemble a car. Now to the paint.
Question, I'm getting ready to be in the same position on my build. What are your plans for painting the hardware, nuts and bolts?
Leave them loosely in the parts to be painted?
Paint them seperately?
Wait until after final assembly and then touch up?

Just wondering how others do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I am doing the same thing. Test fitting and seeing what is missing and what parts are totally wrong. But it must be done.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:45 am:

I would also check the frame for squareness. Are you sure you have the correct splash shields for the year you are building?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:46 am:

I would also check the frame for squareness. Are you sure you have the correct splash shields for the year you are building? It appears from your front fenders, you are going to have a 24-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Larry, the frame is as straight as an arrow and within a millimeter of square.

Neither splash panel was correct for a 1925 car. They were original panels for a low radiator car. So I had to put the second hole in the front for the rear hood latch assemblies. Finding good original splash panels to work with is very difficult here. We have to work with what we can find. Here it is not uncommon to find original splash panels with two hood latch holes, for both high and low radiator cars. My guess is that they were supplied that way, both in original assemblies and as spare parts, to save on inventory. As such, I presume they are otherwise identical and interchangeable.

Robert, I clean up all the fastenings and dip them in thin, black etch primer. They stay that way until I am ready to fit them. Then they get whatever colour enamel is required. For example, the hood shelf bolts are black, but the heads need to be the army drab shelf colour.

Let the final assembly begin.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration