Major starting problem PART #3

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Major starting problem PART #3
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

good morning all, I have taken Mr. Jelf's advice and installed an original gear in place of the plastic one. As you can see by the picture the fit seems excellent. Does anyone have any comments on the use of the original gear? Also one previous poster advised me to align timing marks but I don't seem to find any marks at all on the original or plastic gear. Any advice. I have just ordered a gasket set as well as a new timer wiring harness from Snyder's, probably won't do any more on the car until Saturday when the parts arrive. I'll keep, you all posted and probably amazed by all the questions. Thanks Harv. timingtiming

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

You absolutely have to line up the timing marks.
The crank gear sometimes does not have a mark, but it's the tooth aligned with the keyway that you're concerned with. Sometimes the mark is a small Ford logo. There is no dot aligned with a tooth space on the timing gear???

Show a close-up the timing gear teeth in the 2 o'clock position. They look a bit worn there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Timing marks are aligned in the photo. The timing mark will only appear on one side of the gears. Not my photo. Found it on the web.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

Harvey

Your photos in Post #2 showed well the timing mark on the fiber timing gear.

Blown up view of photo posted. Note the small divot in the gear face just past 6:00 pm .

As posted, the timing marks of the large cam and small crank gear must line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

You can't just stick the gear in there without aligning the marks. Your chance of getting it right is 1 in 630. The odds are 630 to 1 that the car will run badly or not at all.

The mark on the Ford crank gear is the Ford logo on or beside one of the teeth. On an aftermarket gear it will be a dot.

The mark on a Ford cam gear is a small circle or dot between two of the teeth. Aftermarket gears should have a dot. I expect if you examine that nylon gear really closely you'll find one.

Blowing up your picture kind of blurs it, but I think this may be your mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Sure glad I asked that question. I just added an aluminum gear to my order. Only want to have to do this once. Best site on the web. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Polish up the rust with some steel wool and look alot of time the marks are real light
Only marks are on the cam and crank no more on gen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 03:27 am:

Harvey,
If the fit is good, glass-bead the gear, inspect for any tooth damage, once glass-beaded, the timing mark should be visible. If the teeth face are good, save yourself the cost of the aluminum gear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Harvey,

"I just added an aluminum gear to my order. Only want to have to do this once."

Excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Update??????

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration