Paint on Linseed oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Paint on Linseed oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Has anyone had any luck painting wheels that have been soaked in linseed oil? What kind of paint would work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Yes. On Boiled Linseed oil. I have used Urethane over it. I also have used Enamel paint (Rust-o-leum and Tractor paint) over the oil and over the Urethane. I have wheels I painted in 1982 that still look new. I brush it on. I claim that the slow drying enamel remains flexible and tends to chip less than harder paints. It is good to give it time in between coats and to sand or scuff it in between.
Others have their favorite processes and I hope they will share them too.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Brendan - once the linseed is reasonably dried (I cut mine with mineral spirits to aid in that process), painting over it is no issue. I have painted over metal that was coated in linseed oil with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I usually mix an oil base (rustoleum) with the linseed oil and it comes out good a mixture of 1/3 gloss black with 2/3 linseed oil gives a good weathered look.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration