Magnet shipping box?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magnet shipping box?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Does anyone have the specs to build a magnet shipping box? I need one for storing a set of charged magnets.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

I'd make it 15" x 15" on the inside. That's about " over flywheel size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:23 am:

There is part of one showing in this thread. 8th and 9th photo down.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/232572.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Travis, Contact Ron Patterson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Total Recoil ships their refurbished mag rings in a large heavy duty pizza box. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Hi Mark,

I think that Travis is asking about shipping the magnets and not the field coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I realize that, but seeing as how they are similar diameters, I thought that a pizza box might be a good place to start. Some more cardboard would have to be used to fill in the corners and make an inner ring to better hold the magnets in place. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Here's mine - it is just two circles of 1/2" plywood the size of a flywheel. Finishing nails keep the magnets from falling out when the two halves are bolted together. You can flip the top or bottom and use it to keep two sets of magnets in order when swapping a dead set for a charged set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:12 am:

has anyone else tried recharging separate magnets on the side instead of on the ends? seems to be a difference using an electronic Gauss meter!
It would make sense to charge them as they are in relation to the field coils when put together...also the strength seems to dissipate over time if stored, may be not the best iron for a magnet. residual magnetism is what your dealing with after storage...no substitute for just running the engine periodically as with any old generator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Royce...your charging coils are exactly what I am suggesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:17 am:

if your charger will not wrap around the steel try laying the side against the charging core instead of the ends perpendicular

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Travis this is very close to what Steve posted it is supposedly a new old stock one. I got the pic off the internet years ago. Sorry no dimensions. Jim magboxmagbox2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I have a New Old Stock box that has the Ford Detroit return address stenciled on it and it was sent to a Ford dealer in Delaware.

The out side dimensions are 16 X 16 inches and it has a 3/8 inch bottom.

The top board is missing and may not have covered the whole box..

The piece going around the edges is 3/4 X 3/4 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

If you ship in a wood box FedEx and/or UPS have an extra charge for wood crates/boxes. Cover it with cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Good point, Mark - had a customer make me "transport/shipping" wooden boxes as a "thank you" for both a field coil to send back & forth to Wally S. and a couple for magnets before I built my magnet charger - first time I was going to send Wally a field coil to rebuild, UPS notified me regarding "surcharge" for wooden crates - something about liability/slivers !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Thank you guys for the Input on this - I will make a box up this week.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Yep, you just have to cover the wood box with cardboard & then no surcharge! Kinda crazy, but them's the rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

FWIIW here is my magnet sorting/tracking device.

I find that I sometimes need several sessions to complete charging of magnets due to my day job. I made this board from stuff purchased off of the shelf at Lowes. I used a label maker to note the polarity of the magnets and the dowels in between the magnets are removable with one side painted black (uncharged) and the other side painted Red (charged). Behind every magnet there is a hole for the keepers (finish nails)

In this picture 5 magnets show that they still need to be recharged and the rest are done. Also the head if the finish nail always goes to the south end of the magnet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration