The One Part Of My T I Stupidly Overlooked

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The One Part Of My T I Stupidly Overlooked
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:16 am:

I've had my T for a few years now, and thought i went through every system i could think of. I rebuilt the rear diff, went through the engine and trans and rebuilt all the worn parts, cleaned and replaced everything in the fuel system. One thing i definitely overlooked, was the coil box. Maybe i overlooked it because its pretty hard to see inside, and that i thought, what could go wrong in there? Well it seems there is a lot that could possibly go wrong. I decided to rebuild the box while the car was down for the winter, and I'm glad i did. When i started to disassemble the box, the wire from the bottom strip was barely holding on for dear life! It would have been just a matter of time before it would have failed and probably stranded me. Not sure if even the last owner replaced this, as it looks like the wire is of Edison's time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 04:04 am:

Thanks John you gave me some incentive, the other
day just humming along I went to lean it a little
bit, & while turning my wrist touched the coil
box and like a 60,000 volt zapped me.??? Think
I'll put a voltmeter between the coil box and
the carb rod. Maybe cause it was raining when
we went up to 50 degress sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Looks like you "upgraded" to the Fun Projects waterproof rebuild kit. Wise choice. Can't believe the difference it made in 3 of my coil boxes. Only takes about an hour or so to do the work, well with the investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 08:55 am:

A note of caution, if you paint that wood, you will have a lot of grief.

Carbon makes most paint black and carbon conducts electricity.

That fact allows the sparks to be shared with adjacent cylinders, which makes for a very rough running engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 02:31 am:

Fun Projects rebuild kit is the way to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Bing. Bong!
The light bulb in my head just went on.!

A few months ago I was shocked when I switched from the battery to mag. while leaning on the running board.
The coil box with switch is on the firewall

I'll bet I have a carbon track and found it when I was grounded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Nice orginal wood in my box but I goinguess to redo it as well just waiting my order from fun prodjects

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Its definitely a nice kit from Fun Projects, we are lucky to have vendors producing parts like these. I also replaced all the coil contact springs and the porcelain because they seemed as old as the wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:24 am:

The fun projects is great,but if you are a little crazy like me and want to use everything possible that is an original T part, my wood was in great shape so I soaked it in Kwik Poly, so far no problems. (Don't leave it in very long or it's history.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

When I first got my coupe running the magneto died every time I drove the car. I would recharge the magnets in the car but, the next time I drove it the magnets lost their charge. Thinking the problem was the new made in china switch I connected the magneto directly to the coil box with a toggle switch in the wire. I removed the ground strap from the battery to make certain that the battery could not possibly discharge the magnets. When I drove the car the mag still died. Later I found out that the high tension spark plug wire terminals in the coil box wood were shorted out to the terminal on the bottom of the box for the ignition switch wire. I replaced the wood with the fun projects kit and I have had no further problems. From then on I always replace the old wood with either the fun projects kit or new wood.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration