Radiator options for 1924 - 27 T's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator options for 1924 - 27 T's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:45 am:

With all of the talk about radiators and what is quality I thought I would lay it all out there in one thread.

List ALL viable options with pros and cons of each choice (if possible) for the Tall rad model T's.

I've worked on a lot of different models of cars over the years and have never had to spend the kind of $'s that the radiators for these cars seem to go for. Do you Really have to spend 1000.00 USD for a good working radiator?

I will start by listing one of the less expensive rads I've found and ask for your expert opinions on why or why not, someone might consider purchasing.

Now I can tell by the pic that it doesn't Look exactly "factory correct", but the write up makes it sound like it works very well......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:22 am:

So what does this "less expensive rad" cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:32 am:

They use to be 650.00, but I think they're just over 700.00 now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Here's the Crazy. They can make this rad for the low cars for 230.00!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Bought an aluminum radiator from Speedway for $130, welded on it a little, made it fit, not correct at all, but.... Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

The only knock I've ever seen on Berg radiators is that they're not an exact reproduction. Otherwise they have a great reputation for getting the job done.

Prices:
Flat Tube
1917-1923 ... $800
1923-1927 ... $825

Round Tube
1917-1923 ... $900
1923-1927 ... $925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I have been reading all of these radiator postings. Earlier this year I bought a new one for my '27. I bought a Brassworks because thats what Snyders sell. On bigger stuff I can drive to Snyders cheaper than to have it shipped, plus no chance for damage in shipping.
I had my original fixed 8 yrs ago and the guy told me I will probably get another couple years out of it.
It cooled fine, but seeped about a gallon of water a week. It would leak right at the cross brace, it looks like it would be tough to fix. I drive this vehicle a bunch on the weekends, in the middle of no where usually and try to keep the really critical things in perfect shape.
800 bucks hurts, I'll tell you, but seams really cheap when you are in the middle of no where, with an over heating car .
Did you notice the $230 one does not have the steel bar through the core for mounting, also no mounting brakets for the radiator shell.
I think its one of those cases you get what you pay for.
If someone needs a tall radiator that leaks a gallon a week and lives near me in South East Ohio, this one will be available soon.

greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I have bought several Berg's radiators with great results!!!! Very Pleased

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

You could have yours recored. That would be your least expensive option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I Am liking what I'm hearing about the Berg radiators. They look very stout and I haven't heard any reports of the top spout falling off.

I actually like the look of their construction Better than the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

My Berg's is awesome. You can't make it overheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Problems in recoring include top and bottom tanks can be rotten, inlet and outlet can be in not so good shape, and getting the crossways flatiron installed. Many cores don't have that. I know of several who went that route had issues shortly after and regret that decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

+1 for Bergs. One of the best things I bought for my T. Even the steepest and longest of hills won't make it boil. It's been in the car for nearly seven years.
I understand that it's actually a copy of a Wards design. The construction looks much stronger than the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

I bought a '13 brass Berg rad and a '27 tall one from him. Both performed very well and with rebuilt engines in the cars even in summer temps barely got to 160 in Upstate NY. Heard from friends about issues with the Calif repros.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

1924-1927 current offerings in brass core flat tube types.

Brassworks. $799 ($899 round tube) Authentic Ford designs, and great quality, round tube for show, flat tube for go. Upper and lower tanks Ford design, with Ford feature of lower tie bar frame to frame to prevent twist of core. Radiator shell fit and frame fit, and hose fit is factory correct.

Berg's. $825 ($925 round tube) Great quality, differs from Ford as inlet and outlet are castings, with rivets. Upper and lower tanks thicker, non Ford, but with lower tie bar like Ford. Very strong construction. Radiator shell fit and frame fit, including over the motor mount and hose fit is factory correct.

Vendor version unk. maker, (Smith and Jones, and other smaller vendors) $680. Flat tube only, core has wider set tubes, good but not great quality. Radiator shell fit tight at neck, inlet fitting not offset like factory, so hose to block outlet is difficult. Upper and lower tank thinner, non- Ford style. No lower tie bar frame to frame. Drain not tapped, but has modern twist type butterfly drain, that hits the cross member, and lower tank hits the motor mount, not dimpled there, but can be dented easy to make it fit.

I have experience with all three.

You get what you pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Bought a brassworks rad for my 27 and am very satisfied with it, Great fit and cools very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Anyone run one of these Walkers, or any of the A/M rads with dummy neck and filler cap?

They look alright for a Driver, and at 650.00, Seem like a bargain, but curious about how well they fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Doubt that would fit without a lot of modification.

The lower tank likely doesn't have the recess for the motor mount, and that rubber hose for the overflow tank on a modern pressurized system has to go. Inlet spout will have to be positioned, same with the lower outlet, that needs to be angled. Bet a Ford shell won't fit where that dummy filler is. More $ to correct and it still may not work as well as a Ford Model T designed radiator.

Those modern radiators with alum cores or multiple thin flat tubes are good for pressure systems.

The Ford thermo syphon needs a big upper tank, overflow tube at the neck, and a correct tube core with correct spacing to let the coolant drop as it rises up from the cylinder head and floods into the upper tank in a big gurgle.

Then the wide tubes let it fall gracefully to exchange the heated coolant to the cooling air flowing around the tubes and fins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

That last pic is of a hot rod radiator.
The inlet is way over on the right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cook, Geneva,NSW Australia on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I have just fitted a Brassworks radiator to my 1924 T. Easy fit and runs very cool. Chris.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration