Engine serial number?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine serial number?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOSEPH PASZEK on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

I am looking at an engine #99540439 (no this is not a typo), to replace the 1919 engine in my 1927 T. That # indicates that it was produced in Oct. 1934. How can this be? I am totally perplexed. The last T engine was assembled Aug. 4, 1941. However that serial # does NOT fall into those listed. Am I upside down here? Is there a crystal ball out there? I would post a photo but I am being heavily challenged in condensing it. I will continue to work on that issue. Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

No, that's not a 1934 number. Engine production never reached 99 million. It ended at 15,176,888 in 1941. Assembled engines had serial numbers stamped on them, but bare replacement blocks didn't. They were SUPPOSED to be stamped with the old number of the engine they replaced. But that didn't always happen. Sometimes they got some made-up number.

Is your engine a 26-27 style, or earlier?

If you want to email me a copy of your picture I'll post it for you. jelf1atcoxdotnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

No, that's not a 1934 number. Engine production never reached 99 million. It ended at 15,176,888 in 1941. Assembled engines had serial numbers stamped on them, but bare replacement blocks didn't. They were SUPPOSED to be stamped with the old number of the engine they replaced. But that didn't always happen. Sometimes they got some made-up number.

Is your engine a 26-27 style, or earlier?

If you want to email me a copy of your picture I'll post it for you. jelf1atcoxdotnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Here is Joe's picture.

If the digit at the end has been added to the original number this would be engine #9954043, with an assembly date of Friday, May 23, 1924. If the first digit is extra, the date would be Wednesday, March 19, 1924. If neither one of those is the case, I have no idea what this number means.

So how about the style of the engine? 26-27, or earlier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOSEPH PASZEK on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Steve, thank you again! I believe it to be a 26-27 engine as it has the hogs head ears boss on the back of the #4 cylinder. Is it possible that this engine never had a number assigned (blank, spare) and some one is playing with our minds! This certainly is a mind bender. Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Yes, I would think this was a replacement block that was stamped with a non-Ford number.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration