Upholstery question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Upholstery question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Before I get my upholstery kit installed, I'm having the springs sandblasted and primed. My interior guy questioned the mesh that was hog-ringed to the top of the both sets of springs. The ends of this mesh is frayed with multiple loose ends. Even if I trim the rogue ends off now, I worry that eventually a wire will poke through my new upholstery and confront me in one of my sensitive areas.

This stuff isn't original is it? Is it even necessary with a new Cartouche' kit? My interior man (who doesn't claim to be an expert on antique cars) thought there might be a twine or cord threaded through each spring top in a grid fashion to hold them all in place vertically. Does that sound right?

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on February 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

I don't think that mesh is original I think it is something that was added but not needed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

My springs didn't have any mesh:

springs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

I've seen burlap on the ones I've done. But nothing like what you have there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

My two cars do not have any mesh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I agree, there were meshes put on top of some cushions, but never seen it on a T. springs should have clips or short springs holding top coil of springs in place, as shown on photo on workbench. Single or double layer of burlap over that, hog ringed to top edge wire ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:19 am:

As I recall, and for what it is worth, the 1922 Sayers touring car I had a long time ago had that kind of mesh on its seat cushions. I have seen a few other such cushions here and there, but not a lot of them.
I am not sure of the significance. But I don't think the model T generally had that unless on the very early ones. I would like to hear about that from our early brass experts.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:50 am:

Mark's photo shows how the springs should be interconnected. They are linked with wires so they maintain their relative positions. Just stitching them to a burlap cover will not last.

That mesh is used to do that linking, and to provide a base for the padding installed under the upholstery cover.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:09 am:

I would tape the edges of the wire mesh down with some black duct tape to control the stray wires on the edge (Henry would approve of black) and then a couple layers of burlap should take care of it. But the main danger is the old coil springs breaking. You need to inspect each one of them from one end to the other very very closely. If the coil spring wire has any rust pits in it, the coil will eventually break at the pitting. Then the broken coil spring is what will likely poke a hole in your upholstery. Just my thoughts for what little they may be worth ... have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:38 am:

I agree with what Donnie said. How much does the upholstery cost? What if a coil let's go and rips the seat? What will it cost to repair or replace it? How much did you save by not getting new springs? I can give you a price quote on new springs. They come from the same place and I am generally cheaper. PM me or email aloso@qdotcom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:49 am:

My thought would be do the old springs still have the same height as they were originally.

In other words have they lost their springiness.

The new set of springs I used in my 21 Touring seemed a little high but after installing the new upholstery they are just right with plenty of 'spring' in them.

I would compare the ones that you have pictured with some new springs to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration