I have rebuilt the generator from my 1924 TT. When attempting to assemble the unit I was not able to insert the armature into the case. The winding holders are too far out. I have used a impact driver to get the screws as tight as I could. Does any one have any thoughts as to what I am missing?
I assume you installed a new field winding?
When this is done it usually requires a pole shoe spreader and a go/no go gauge to ensure the pole shoes are installed inside the generator case in the proper relationship to the lamination section of the armature. Here are photos of the required tools.
I rebuild Model T generators all the time.
Your welcome to contact me if you have other questions.
Ron the Coilman
William there is a tool made to push the shoes into position. I have gotten by with out it by marking the position of the shoes before taking apart and going back the same way but that does not always work. KGB
Ron typed faster and got pics of the tools. KGB
I neglected to include a photo of the pole shoe screwdriver that allows you to properly tighten the pole shoe screws when the pole shoe spreader is in place.
The previously mentioned go/no go gauge gauge is used after this procedure to ensure correct position.
Ron the Coilman
Not having a fancy field pole spreader, like Ron has; I had to make one. I just picked up a spare pin I had laying around and turned it down to the correct diameter. I believe it tells you the diameter in the electrical book. The starter and generator are the same dimension, so one tool fits all. With mine, you have to watch your toes though.
I think you could cut a piece of oak and use it and some c clamps to pull the windings in place. You could use two pieces of oak and an oak wedge to drive them apart. In short, scratch your head and you will figure out a way to get it done.
Ted we have been using something like that to do Model A gens. Curve the top and bottom cut so acts like two wedges. Pound in from both ends so it spreads out against the shoes.
Check for a damaged yoke too. I just did one with a "dent" on the side. The previous "repairman" attempted to fix that by grinding the back of the pole shoes. What a mess. Nothing aligned correctly.
The clearance tool will also aid in making sure the pole shoes are oriented parallel to the armature axis and fully seated. I leave the tool in place while tightening the pole screws so they don't shift.
Thanks for all the help
I love the forum!!!!