Old Photo - The Texaco Man

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - The Texaco Man
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:53 am:

"How ya doin'? Filler up?" "That 'ill be a dollar and 27 cents please."
It's been a long time.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Remember the Texaco slogan; "Trust Your Car To The Man That Wears The Star". I think Bob Hope was their spokesman that used to say that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Don't forget they used to check oil, tire pressure, clean windows, check hoses and belts and fluids. Now they sit in a booth with their hand out for money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I think it was Jack Benny .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Ed Wynn.
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M330bf11f6a713fe11be82ff01f447672o0&pid=Api&w =181&h=181

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

It was all three. Ed Wynn was first, then Jack Benny, and then Bob Hope before he hosted the Chrysler Star Theater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dw8M6xsyc0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Dennis, I am one of the guys who did that. Before I had my own station, I worked for a company that owned one Gulf and two Mobil stations. I always asked to check the oil, and did the windshield. You would be amazed at the amount of TBA (Tires, Batteries, and accessories) that we sold. We were scrupulously honest; we didn't have to be dishonest to make a lot of money. Our stations always led the region in oil sales per gallon of gas sold. We were also #1 in wiper blades (why do you think we wanted to clean the windshield?) and belts. Grabbing the belts to look at their condition also gave us a chance to check the condition of other stuff. I once told a lady in a Volvo that her water pump bearing was shot and she needed a new pump. She said something to the effect of "You don't really think I'm going to fall for that." Two hours later her Volvo arrived back at the station on the hook needing a water pump, a belt, a fan, and a radiator. She became a regular customer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I saw Bob Hope and Bing Crosby on a talk show (a LO-ONG time ago), and they were being asked about their involvement with Texaco. They said that they had made some really good money together in movies back in the mid '30s doing shorts and features. So several of them, as I recall including Crosby, Hope, and Jack Benny among a few others decided to go in together and invest in Texas oil. They all wound up making a lot more money from Texaco than any of them ever made in the movies. Bob Hope was laughing about a point before one of the big strikes where some of the group wanted to get out and he had to talk a couple into staying with it, and then a short while later there was a huge strike of oil!
A lot of those people were wonderful people as well as great entertainers. Bing Crosby not so much, although I do love his early music.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Back in my senior year in West Lafayette, IN in 1965, I was working at Buck's Texaco. Like said above, we checked the oil and other stuff, or at least offered to. I remember this Middle Eastern gentleman who drove a '53 Chevy. If you asked to check the oil, he'd say no it was ok as he looked at the gauge. To him, if it had oil pressure, it didn't need oil. Eventually, it was knocking most of the time. I wonder how far it got after that. No idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Wasn't Ralph Nader, was it, he had a 53 Chev, and was somewhat ignorant. Read the book. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Nope, it wasn't Ralph. I had a '53 Chevy at the same time.....wish I still had it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Yes, I was a member of the Petroleum Transfer Engineers, local 307; at least that's what I claimed, as Gas Station Attendant didn't sound fancy enough. So I made a hand-printed certificate and put it on the wall of the office, next to the Chamber of Commerce membership certificate--I don't think anyone ever looked at it. We were one of the first self-serves, actually a test station for Chevron, but the outer pumps were full serve, so did lots of "Under the hood" and check the tires, etc.
Our station was after a long downhill run from Mt Shasta, and one day a lady in a Volvo coasted into the station, just coasting, no engine. Told me her engine light came on at Weed (17 miles up the hill) and around Mt. Shasta it started making a knocking sound, so she just coasted down to us. "Here, I'll start it so you can hear it." Knock bangity bang cknock cknock--"Shut it offf!" I shouted. Now Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta and Weed are small towns and no one there works on Volvos (at least not back then) so she had to have it towed to Redding, over 60 miles away. It is amazing how little some folks know about their cars.
But, this was a unique event, Guy pulls into the self serve from Oregon. Has a window sticker on the back, "Steam Automobile Club of America" and I'm also a member (was then), so I hand him my piano tuning card. "Where'd you get this?" he demanded. "Uh, it's just my card." "But it's got my name on it!" Now there was a co-incidence! We stayed in touch for years after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

YOU MEAN THERE ARE TWO OF YOU!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

John, I too worked at a full service station and tire center. The station had 8 pumps and the tire center had 5 large bays just for tires service, two bays for grease and oil, one wash bay, and three mechanic bays, and a retreading shop. Nothing like the smell of burning rubber on a hot summer night as the tires cooked in the molds. Did a lot of 18 wheeler 10.00x20 and I also operated one of the two a large crane trucks that we had to run heavy equipment tires for strip mines. The tires were about 8 ft high and 4 ft wide. We could only load two on our trucks at a time or we would be overloaded. The strip mines run 24/7/365 and I was always on call. This was in the late 60's and I remember the owner telling me that he could buy three mid priced cars for the cost of one of the strip mine pan tires. This place had 30-35 employees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Wayne, not anymore, The other David Dewey was much older than I and would be over 110 now, if he were still around--We had different middle names, his was Warren, which is a common name in the Dewey line; I would have had an Uncle Warren, but he died from a shotgun accident when he was 12. Must have been a clever guy, as I have a small cabinet that he built, very nice work & all hardwoods.
HOWEVER,in Chico, 22 miles away from me there is another David & Linda Dewey! We haven't met yet, but need to!
Bwahah hah hah---You Vill Be Assimilated! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

David D, I was named after my father, and therefore am Wayne Francis Sheldon II. Not junior. Not 2. Roman numeral II. Considered to be very unusual. After 2, three and above are usually Roman numerals, but rarely is two done as a roman numeral for people's names.
Quite a few years ago, there was a snafu with an insurance company. Seems there was this fellow in Maine named Wayne Francis Sheldon II. The insurance company would not tell me what it was about. But I had to swear that I had never been in Maine and had not in any way taken out an insurance policy in Maine. Very strange.

Back onto Texaco and their commercials and slogans.
Anybody else remember the commercials where the well uniformed attendants sang to Jack Benny (to the tune of "Bill Baily"):
"Won't you fill up, Jack Benny, won't you fill up?"
(Another line I don't remember enough words of?)
(Jack Benny replies: "I'll take a gallon!"

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:47 am:

here you go
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=won%27t%EE%80%81+you+%EE%80%80fill+up+jack+ benny&view=detail&mid=260943FA9728F5002BD7260943FA9728F5002BD7&FORM=VIRE1

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration