How long does this bolt need to be?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How long does this bolt need to be?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

I need to order a 1/2" bolt for the upper timing cover hole (fan mount on earlier cars) on a 27 engine.

It had a smaller sized bolt before but it's gone missing and my engine is at the machine shop so I can't verify the length needed. Can anyone help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

On my '27, that bolt is:

1/2"-20 thread
1-1/4" thread length
11/16" hex head

The bolt is original as best I can tell, but you may want to hear confirmation from another poster or two to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

OK, thanks Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Richard,

Was that the length of the bolt that is threaded, or was it the distance from the underside of the head to the end of the bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Both, its threaded all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Perfect illustration of the value of a picture versus words! Well done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Good show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:16 am:

It really doesn't need to be threaded all the way since it goes through the timing gear cover which has no threads.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration