San Diego "Big 3" swap, any good?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: San Diego "Big 3" swap, any good?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Thinking of going to the Big 3 antique car swap meet in San Diego. As far as Model T stuff, is it worth going to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Less and less Model T stuff every year. Still, if you have nothing better to do, it's alright. Bakersfield is the one to attend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Your profile says East of San Diego. I presume you wouldn't mention San Diego in the profile unless you were somewhere in California to the east of San Diego.

If I am right, it might be worth your time to attend, but if East of San Diego means somewhere like Texas, or Florida, it will be a long way to travel for what you might find.

I live 30 miles East of San Diego and usually attend. There is an area right about the center of the swap meet where the rows go east and west not far from the Trolley station and about 3 rows to the north of the fence where most of the club members have spaces. Usually there are some Model T parts in that area. And usually some T cars for sale in that area. There are also some parts scattered throughout the swap meet. It has become quite a lot of 50's and 60's type cars at the swap meet.

Usually I head for the area where I know there are some club members, and visit, and look for some things I might need or add to my collection of spare parts. In the past I bought an engine and transmission all assembled and ready to install. I have also bought a complete Ruckstell. There is also sometimes a person with rebuilt NH carburetors and there are also a lot of Model A cars and parts for sale. About 25 years ago I bought some INSA tires (hecho en Chile)
These fit the 21 inch rims and are very long lasting. I still drive one of my T's on those tires. If the weather is good and I am feeling well, I then wander around and see the rest of the swap meet until I get tired and then head home.

Anyway, now that I have all 3 of my cars running and I don't have plans to buy another, I just look for things like coils, carburetors, spark plugs coil points, or other things which might fail at some time.

If you are not already a member of the Model T Ford Club of San Diego, I would invite you to join. Only $20 a year for membership.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Dennis, I have been going to the big 3 for more then 20 years. I use to bring a lot of T parts but they just don't sell. If you are looking for specific items, let me know and I'll bring them. I'll be bringing old license plates, early Ford V8 parts, a lot of misc parts and my Penton motorcycle to sell. My spaces are under the big G3 parking sign. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Moesser on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

I'm planning on going! It will be my first time going to anything T related. I've been working with my father-in-law to restore his '26 coupe. We are almost done and have most of the parts, but I will be looking for AC speedometer parts. I was able to pick up what appears to be a functioning AC 'C' series speedo head but lack the cable and drive parts. Any chance I'll find that stuff there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

My sister worked in SD for a year and a half and just when I decide that a visit a Vista was in order she left for a job in Vancover. An hoping to make Bakersfield this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

One of our local members is downsizing and will have lots of T stuff. Kirt will be there all three days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Moesser on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Dennis, did you end up going to the swap meet? I did, but was only available for about an hour and a half so i didn't get to look around very much. In my time there, I was able to find a wood spoke wheel with the correct AC speedometer gear that can also be put on my wire wheel. It was in much better shape then the cheapest one I found on ebay so that was great. Then I was keeping my eye out for some steering gear because for some reason with my '26 coupe I have a complete 4:1 set but only part of a 5:1 set. I was able to find a complete steering column, looks like it was taken right out of the car. It's going to take some finesse to get it apart to get it cleaned up and everything but it's exactly what we were looking for. I was unable to find an area where the T's were congregating, but like I said, I didn't have much time. Overall, it was a lot fun, and next year I will be planning to go with more time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

This year, the Model T stuff was all over the place, not together in one area. I saw a Ruckstell for big drum, and a good looking 24 Roadster Many small parts here and there. There was also a chassis with engine and rear axle, but there was a gap, between, might have been for a Warford which was missing. There were many cylinder heads and axle shafts for sale. Not as much this year as in the past, but unfortunately, the area where we used to have a lot of T people only had one or two due to several deaths among the members in the last few years.

I am now looking forward to Bakersfield. It is usually worth driving up there. All pre WWII cars of many makes including much T stuff.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration