OT - Edsel's speedster - Sculpted In Steel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Edsel's speedster - Sculpted In Steel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Museum of Fine Arts Houston show

B

A

C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

D

E

F

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Tony,

Neat pictures. The car must have originally had the early '32-'36 21-stud V8 engine like I have in my '35 Cabriolet.

That "water pump in head" version presented cooling problems for Ford that was finally solved with the later "pump in block" 24-stud engine that is shown in the small "under hood" shot in the brochure.

Like the Model T where #4 is in a hotter part of the block, #4 and #8 on my 21-stud are in the hotter part of the cooling system.

Who has that car now?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

The write up says Courtesy of the Edsel and Elanor Ford House? Whatever that may be. Estate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

To my sense of aesthetics, that is one UG-LEE car, even if it was an in-house special design.
But then again, I really don't care for where car styling went after around 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Gaukler Point in St Clair Shores, Michigan, is where Eleanore and Edsel Ford built their dream house. The group that maintains this estate also manages Henry Ford's Fair Lane estate.

More information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel_and_Eleanor_Ford_House

When you come up to see the Piquette Plant, stop and see these estates, too. We'll even toss in Nankin Mills, one of the Ford Industries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Is this a model, not full size, if not there is quite a story about the life of this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Yea,i am confused, is this a sculpture or the real car? And if it is a model, why would someone go to that much trouble and not go ahead and make a real car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:42 am:

What a beautiful car. He had great taste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Burger, Looks way better than anything DeSoto ever did. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

You know, Scott ... you're right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

It's not a model. It's a real car. Read the write up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Sculpted in Steel is the name of a museum show consisting of art deco automobiles and motorcycles from 1929 through 1940. The show is currently at the Museum of fine arts in Houston. It's a traveling show with 14 cars and three motorcycles. Edsel Ford's speedster is a real car and it's considered an example of an art deco automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Thanks for helping me out there.
Wow,and I would not kick that Desoto out of the barn either! I like's it! It has what all cars with 4 wheel brakes should have, TAIL FINS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

I like the upright, squared-off looks of pre-1925 cars. A 1920 era speedster is much better
looking to MY sense of aesthetic than this rounded-off body, even though they would essentially
be the same car in intention. And that is just personal preference for sharp edges and crisp
lines. I just do not like round/rounded body shapes. To me, a Model A is too rounded. Even
the fenders and such on a 26-27 T are too rounded !

Edsel did a lot of cool things, but just like I'd say to those who think every song the Beatles
did was off-the-charts awesome ... sorry, man ... no one got a golden key to the crapper. I
prefer Edsel's earlier creations. :-)

Now how about that Futura ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Neat! You don't see many pictures of the Futura before George Barris got hold of it....

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Heidi Van Horne had a Houston Chronicle article this morning:

http://www.chron.com/cars/article/HEidi-s-pics-Sculpted-in-Steel-celebrates-6842 618.php#photo-9428162

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:55 am:

CNN has an article also:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/autos/art-deco-movement-automobiles/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Here's a pic of the Futura after Barris got it, but before he F#@!d it up:

It appears to have been used and abused by 1965-6.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration