Shackle reamer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shackle reamer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Just wondering if the shackle uses the same as the king pin
If not what size is the shackle
I left my calipers at work
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

On the original Spindle reamer there were two sizes.1/2 inch for spindles and at the top of the reamer,a 9/16 section,for the tie rods and spring bushings. You could use a regular 9/16 reamer ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Thanks jack my dad has my reamer for the kingpins
Looks like I make a trip over to get it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 01:59 am:

The same precision isn't needed in the shackles as in the spindles, so I think a regular 9/16" drill bit would work fine. (I've used a round file myself when burrs and minor misfit in new bushings needs to be corrected)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:59 am:

As Roger posted, twist drill works fine for the steel bushing.

14.5mm drill as vendors sell. Fits repro or NOS shackles good. If your shackles are worn, you can use a smaller drill or reamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I like to use brass bushings in my cars, because we can't go to a Ford dealer any more and buy shackles. I have NOS shackles in my '25, and want them to stay that way. I use an adjustable reamer for my bushings. It may take longer, but I can control the fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

9/16 drill bit and if you want a tight fit grind just a fuzz off each flute at the tip. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Larry, you are a man of my own heart. Bronze bushes and do the job right.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Should gone that route but I use drill V's a 60 mile trip get the reamer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:54 am:

"Shackle Reamer" Isn't that the guy who is always yelling at poor Mr. Shackle for messing up at work?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration