Side Lamps with Clear and Red lenses

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Side Lamps with Clear and Red lenses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I have seen what appear to be the typical 1917-27 side lamps with both the clear front lens and a smaller side red lens. Can someone shed some light on the use of the one with the red lens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

That is a taillight for the non-starter cars starting around mid-1923.

The red lens faces the rear and the clear lens shines on the license plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

As Daniel's lamps have a large clear lens in front and a small red lens on the side I believe they are cowl lamps with the small red lens serving as a side marker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

That was my first though, but the lens is too small. I have a tail lamp and the large red lens is in front (or rear) and the smaller clear lens is on the right as you face the car from the rear. The side lamps I saw had red lenses on the outside of the lamp with the large clear lens in front. The lamps are not interchangeable, as one is for the left and the other right side with the small red lens facing outward towards the side of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

If you look on the rear side it will say Ford-O it mounts from the side opposite the small lens. This is the non-starter Ford rear tail lamp adopted in 1925-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 19, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:07 am:

A taillight is not a side light! Also, note that the mounting stud is on the side of the lamp, and not the back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration