Wheel Ball Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheel Ball Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

When did the change occur for part 2804 which is the outer ball bearing cup? The 1916, 1920,& 1924 parts books all list it as 2804 however some of the 2804s are approx. 3/4" wide and some are approx. 1/2" wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

When did the change occur for part #2804 which is the outer cup for ball type wheel bearings. The 1916, 1920,&1924 parts books all list #2804 without any A or B however some are around 3/4" wide and some are around 1/2" wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Brendan,

I looked but I did not find any easy answer.

Please confirm you are finding original Ford outer wheel bearing roller ball races where some are 1/2 inch wide and others are 3/4 inch wide. Or is there a possibility that you are looking at replacement parts and that they may not be Ford?

If Ford manufactured the parts and they were not defective (there have been some Ford parts that were defective) then since the part number 2804 never received a suffix B or C etc. that indicates any changes were considered minor and it was not considered important enough to reflect in the Price List of Parts etc. The changes would have been noted either on the factory drawing or on the change card as needed so the part could be properly manufactured. But the part should normally interchange if there is not a suffix. For example when the engine block was redesigned for the generator it was given the part number 3000C (starter standard bore) and factory number 400D. When it went from two valve cover doors to a single valve cover door starting in Nov 1921 with over lap when both were still produced until Apr 1922 the part number and factory number did not change. When the boss and holes were added for the new improved hogshead to be bolted to the back of the engine on the improved models, the prefix was not changed. So why did they change the block number from 3000B for the non-start to 3000C for the starter? I believe the answer is because you cannot fit a generator to the 3000B block. You could use block off plates on a 3000C if you installed it on and earlier car (or use the 3017B instead of the 3017 and you didnít need the generator block off plates (see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/153324.html ). So in the case of the engine block you need the correct one at least if you want a generator and/or if you want it for the improved car.

Adding the suffix generally means the new part will not directly replace the older part. I.e. you will be required to purchase some additional new parts to get it all to work together. For example if you purchased the later right front spring perch part number 2733B to install on a car that originally came with the over the axle wishbone -- you also had to purchase the left front new style spring perch and the new wishbone all of which were designed to go under the axle. In this case the later spring perches had a B after the part number as well as a B after the factory number and also the wishbone. But sometimes the parts will have different suffixes. But again in general the suffix generally indicates a significant change.

The lack of suffixes on the out roller bearing race indicates to me that the parts should be interchangeable 1909-1926. Again Ė I do not know if your parts are or are not to original Ford specs. Iíll let others who have see the outer ball bearing races comment on that.

If you want to look through information on the hubs Ė I looked but I did not see anything that would indicate the bearing race had to be different. See the following postings:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/88181.html?1239905425
that one includes a lot of details by John Regan on the hubs.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/67440.html?1222873495

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration