Off Topic - 1935 Stweart-Warner 6v Radio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Off Topic - 1935 Stweart-Warner 6v Radio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

When I purchased my 27 T ForDor many years ago it came with a Steward-Warner 6V Radio Model R-133. It looks like the tuning knob would clamp to the steering column. Other than that I don't know much about it. The tuner is branded with Firestone and Stewart-Warner. I think its from 1935.

I don't think I will ever use and I am thinking about selling. Anyone know what it may be worth?
The attached picture is not mine but but same model.

Stewart Warner Model R133

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles legg on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

It is a 1935 radio. I know it isn't for a Coupe. I repair these as a hobby.The schematic is in the Riders manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles legg on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

I found another control head like yours but the station numbers are the opposite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Charles what do you think its worth? I am thinking about putting it on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

I wish I could help you more with that radio. They are an interesting part of history. My dad collected radios for many years and had over 200 radios (mostly home type and some car) from 1919 into the early '60s, including several similar to your car radio.
He is gone now and so are most of his collection and books. I just could not take even a fraction of all his stuff. Most of his radios, parts, and books, went to local radio clubs, so they went on to good homes to hopefully be preserved.
He had a few radios similar to yours. One of them was dated by schematics and other literature as being from 1932. The basic style was listed as from about '31 through '35. They were among the first practical car radios offered to the general public. A variation of this radio was offered as an option on the early V8 Fords in 1932.
I won't try to recall or recite much of it, but I would recommend anyone with a little interest to research the early history of automotive radios. There are several names better known for later developments (heard of the Lear jet?). And the name "Motorola" was founded on nothing but automobile radios before they went into even more important technologies.
Fascinating stuff! And a nice radio you have there.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

One sold on EBay last year for 130 plus shipping, so sounds like $125-175 depending on condition. I'm no expert and only pass this on for reference. http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/261949604411?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Its basically worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Recently there have been a lot of early radios listed at high prices because of rodent rod butchers that put late model 12 receivers inside original cases, after all how many folks are still running 6v systems other than knowledgeable original car folks. Another thing about value, does it play?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Before trying to play it, it needs to be checked out by someone VERY familiar with vintage radios. The old style filter condensers go bad with age, and powering up the radio could melt down a lot of the circuits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles legg on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

I found another control head like yours but the station numbers are the opposite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles legg on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Jim is right about the price. I would guess around 200.00 AND defiantly don't power it up. The electrolytic caps. will be dried out and all the condensers are paper and foil with wax on the ends. They are known to be bad and depending where they are in the circuit they could do a lot of damage. I know the vibrater should be replaced for an electronic one. They are sold in Florida. The schematic is available on the net for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles legg on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Riders volume 6 1935 and earlier

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration