OT - Could wait any longer to drive my 1905 Queen :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Could wait any longer to drive my 1905 Queen :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

It's Feb, 20th 2016, we've had a major thaw here in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, and I'm out driving! Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69oy1jYpjp8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFrd2tMUBis&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1XtZEO2YkE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Wow! That engine is a wonderful contraption. I hope you'll join us in Minnesota for the New London to New Brighton tour one of these years. After listening to your audio commentary on your little February jaunt, I'm sure you'd fit right in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Thanks, I would love to, but I need someone to tow it down, I don't have a pull vehicle yet....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Great videos, thanks for posting them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Darren, consider finding a buddy with at least a 20-foot trailer who wants to go to the NL-NB and would let you piggy-back in exchange for sharing expenses. A couple of years ago John Linderman, who has a big 20-horse Stanley, and I with my one-lung Cadillac used my 24-foot trailer and his big diesel truck to take our cars to the NL-NB. It's a fabulous tour, and well worth doing. I've done it twice. Can't go this year, but looking at next.

Another great trip is the Lansing-Dearborn, followed by the Old Car Festival at The Henry Ford. And if you can find someone with a small car and a big trailer to go to Hershey with, you might like the Hershey Hangover. It's a day and a half of touring in brass cars on the Sunday and Monday after the car show. This year there will be alternate, shorter routes for very slow cars, so your Queen would be right at home. The routes, both short and long, will be scenic. I know - I'm the guy who's planning them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Darren, What a great video thanks for sharing. Now I can't wait to get out and about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Darren,
Enjoyed your video, wished we lived closer to each other. I would get our 1910 2 cylinder REO out and tour with you. My first passion is 1 & 2 cylinder brass era vehicles. I also have a 1905 1 cylinder REO that has been in our family since 1958. One & two cylinder's are a real hoot to drive. I take ours on HCCA 1 & 2 cylinder tours.
Have trailered it as far as Wisconsin to attend tours.

There is the remains of a 2 cylinder Queen in Tomb Stone Arizona. It is located on the main street on the south end of town just sitting there. Only the frame and some brackets left....picked over and not much there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:14 am:

There is NOTHING like a 2 cylinder opposed engine.
I love those things....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:24 am:

Where's the like button? 😄

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:30 am:

Well that bit of code was a happy face:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Some day I hope to have a one or two cylinder horseless carriage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Bill, I remember that feeling. I saved my coil rebuilding and Model T part swapping proceeds for about ten years before the old car savings account was fat enough to solve the problem. A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to have a friend offer a rather unique '08 Maxwell LC to me at a price I could almost afford. I took my wife with to look at the car and she fell in love with it. She pulled a few budget strings to make the purchase happen. It's a special little car and I'm proud to own it.

When I got serious about researching 1 & 2-cylinder cars, I learned that there are many runabouts that can be had for the same money as a decent black and brass Model T. If you keep your eyes open, you should have little trouble finding a roadworthy, Maxwell, Brush, or REO for less than $20k. If you want a four-seater or an earlier than '09 2-cylinder, you'll have to spend more. The '09-'12 Maxwells are plentiful and reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the encouraging words. I, too, was thinking of Maxwell, REO, or Brush and likely an older restoration which may have degraded cosmetically and yet is still in fair mechanical condition. The piggy bank fills very slowly though. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 04:04 am:

Runs like a clock. Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 05:49 am:

I could watch that engine run all day. Wonderful piece of machinery talking there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Have a local friend that has a 1910 2 cylinder Maxwell that he is thinking about selling. It's an older restoration but a very complete car. Has new leather upholstery and nice top with brass windshield. He wants $25K for the car. Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

15 mph feels more like 60 sitting that high with no windshield and that close to the front. And in cool weather. Thanks for the video of it. I watched a friend spend 40 some years putting a 2 cyl REO together and always wanted one. I'm pleased to finally have a Buick and enjoy it but don't take it to 1 & 2 tours even though some are within a few hundred miles. It is great for around town but If I go very far the T's are good to have.
Enjoy the Queen.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Thanks for all the kind words! Just as an FYI, most of our streets are fairly steep and the videos don't show that. So, for a 1,400 lb car only developing 12 HP, going up hills in high gear, with a 280lb driver, is doing pretty darned good @ 15mph! :-)

On a flat road, the little Queen scoots along at 25-27 MPH for fun. 18 MPH is it's sweet spot, and my safe zone.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration