Need Help - Red Glass Visor - believe it is for a model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need Help - Red Glass Visor - believe it is for a model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Missy Trusty on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Hoping someone might know more about this visor and its value. I found this at my grandparents. I also found a model T windshield with the wiper on it... so I am pretty sure this was for a model T. If you have any info on it I would appreciate it. Picture of Visor - red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

I haven't seen a Ford item like that but it could be an accessory for a T. Knowing the width measurement might be a clue.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Missy Trusty on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

The visor is 39 inches long, 10 inches deep.

From an old thread someone posted an old advertisement that shows that there was an aftermarket company F & W Manufacturing that made prism glass visors. I thought this could possibly be one? Old Advert - this might be what it is? Another photo of visor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Welcome to the forum Missy. For someone new, you sure are a good detective. It sure does look like the visor in the advertisement, or close to it. Keep in mind that the Ford accessory market was a booming business and there were often several vendors who made slight variations of the same product.

Regarding value, it's hard to say. Your post alone, with the great pictures, will probably drum up some interest. One way to get the top number would be to auction it on eBay and let everyone know on here that's what you've decided to do.

It's a great item. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Looks like a fun item. My guess is that whatever material the visor came with got broken or damaged, and someone used a piece of red stained glass to replace it. Certainly is unique. Good luck finding out more about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:33 am:

It is difficult to say. Visors of this kind were sold with glass of many various colors. I have seen green, amber, and several red similar to yours. Glass also had several surface textures to appeal to different tastes. They were offered on many higher priced cars from the factory and/or dealer with such visors as an original option. They were also sold as after-market accessories for any car including model T Fords. They came in a variety of widths for different cars, as well as with different mounting brackets for open cars or closed cars. These brackets do look like they are for a closed car.
Such visors were popular accessories throughout the 1920s.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:36 am:

That is a very nice item.
I had a good chuckle when I read the newspaper ad It reads "Will not rattle or vibrate"...well if it doesn't it's the only thing on a Model T that doesn't rattle or vibrate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

If the 39 inches is the frame width, it would fit a 1922 Coupe perfectly. Probably any model T closed car but '24 and later had their own visors. It should fit open T's well also with different bracketing like the one shown in the add. Some other makes would have similar width windshields. I could believe that being the original glass. The nickled ends suggest marketing for more than just Ford.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Missy Trusty on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I really appreciate the information. I am not sure what it is worth. I listed it on ebay. I put a high reserve just because I wasn't sure. I will see how it goes.Truly appreciate the information.

I believe it is the original glass also. This and the windshield I found were in an out building at my grandparents. It was one of those buildings we hadn't been in for years because it wasn't safe to go in. It was under layers of dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

That sounds like the kind of building we need to see a picture of. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-GLASS-Visor-possibly-for-a-Model-T-beautiful-prism-g lass-deep-amber-/301878011559?hash=item464954e6a7:g:fkoAAOSwQYZWyeWb&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I have one that looks just like that but mine is green
If anybody's interested PM me

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration