Windshield Rubber Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Windshield Rubber Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Has anyone a drawing of how the h-shaped rubber strip attaches to the windshield? Does it attach to the upper or lower pane? Does the upper pane open out or in?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Would need to know what year and model car you are installing it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:23 am:

A 1924 Roadster. It seems that the top piece would push outward, but I've seen pictures of the opposite.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Hi Phil,

I am reasonably sure that Ford intended the windshield to push out, and you will find that on most cars that is the case. You will discover that if you put the "h rubber" on backwards, allowing the glass to be pulled inwards it will direct cooling air onto your hot feet to make for a more comfortable trip during the summer months. I do this in my coupe and it provides a substantial benefit in addition to the air flow from the cowl vent. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Thanks, Bill. For the installation you suggest, does the rubber go on the bottom section of the windshield?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Here are a couple ways I see the windshield rubber can be installed. The drawing could also be flipped so the rubber is on the bottom piece of glass. How did Ford do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Mine's a 27 but I think the reasoning is the same. Believe Ford designed windshield to open outward but if tilted inward the feet are much obliged on a hot day. So...

Rubber strip on the bottom with the "tall" part outside so the upper glass can open inward when it's hot.

Rubber strip on the bottom with the "tall" part inside for rainy weather. This forms a small gutter and keeps the water out better.

Reason for being on the bottom is so the rubber strip can't fall off. No glue! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration