Were these coil bridges used on Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Were these coil bridges used on Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Just found these mixed in with my spare ignition parts. The flexible part with the points would be attached to these bridges with two of the short screws. There aren't any of those parts here though.

The little carriage bolts at the bottom are #10, larger than the #8 used in my 27's coil box.

Here they are placed on top of a coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Had a rolled brass top coil that used that set-up. I believe I ground off the rivets in a "newer" point set and the holes in the point arm matched the mounting bracket screw holes. Just a more complicated set-up that got simplified over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:21 am:

Eric-
Both types are for the lower (spring) portion of points. The double-back type was earlier, the other later, but before the riveted type.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Eric
Following are some details about Early KW Model T Ford coil point vibrator mounting foot and its evolution.
Late in 1912 Ford agreed to adopt the KW Company (Kaple and Williams) coil and point design for the Model T Ford. Both Ford and KW soon started co-producing the “Williams” design coil and points and continued to do so till the end of Model T production.
The first photo shows the major evolutionary manufacturing changes that occurred during this period. The second photo shows how the early foot vibrator tension was adjusted. There were many other les significant manufacturing changes to the coil point vibrator and bridge which I will not describe.
Vibrator Evolution
Adjusting Vibrator Tension
Items A and B depicts the initial vibrator foot design. This design helped prevent the owner from adjusting the ignition coil vibrators. Item C depicts the vibrator foot opened so you can see the “Grub” screw that is accessed by removing the rear vibrator mounting screw allowing vibrator tension adjustment using a small screw driver as depicted in Item F.
In 1917 the ignition coil and points were changed to remove most of the Brass components and simplified the overall design. The vibrator foot was changed so the vibrator tension adjustment was now accomplished by bending the foot along the axis of the mounting bolts to increase or decrease vibrator tension. This vibrator foot design with many small changes was used to the end of Model T production.
Hope this helps to explain.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Very interesting - my Model T education continues.
Thank you gentlemen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Thank you Ron. I have read about the grub screw and wondered how that worked.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration