Perplexing issue with wheel/rim fit on early 1921 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Perplexing issue with wheel/rim fit on early 1921 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:02 am:

I purchased a very original car that was stored in a barn loft since early 1920's and had not been modified ( I thought) everything was tight and original as I disassembled it and sandblasted the components. All 4 wheels had the demountable rims on and the spare rim was NOT on the carrier but rather in the front seat. I purchased 5 tires and mounted them up. When I went to put them on the car I found one rim would not go onto the wheels...none of the 4. It took a while but I finally realized it looks the same as the rest but it IS different and will not fit the wheels. Also will not fit the tire carrier on the rear. What rim am I going to go looking for ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Ed,

Yes there are different design rims...

Post a picture of the one you want, along with close ups of the front and back of the lug...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Did it not fit because the valve stem was in the wrong place relative to the lugs? If so, previous posts on the subject would point to the odd one being a Chevy rim.

Do a Google search on "chevy rim mtfca" and some older threads will show up.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:29 am:

If it is an "original" 1921 - it would have 23" rims not 21" unless it had been modified which the OP believes it hadn't - I understand it was the 21" Chev. rim that had the tube hole in a different position than Ford's rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Very common. I once purchased a rim at a swap meet and tried it on my 22. It did not fit. I know that there were Hays wheels and Kelsey wheels and the rims were different. There might have also been other manufacturers too. Anyway, time to visit the swap meets and look for a rim like the other 4.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:43 am:

You may have a Chevy rim as Mark suggests, or you may just have rims from different suppliers. Ford used different sources, so some parts don't interchange.

As George says, show pictures, including front and back of the lugs. Show both kinds of rims you have so we can ID them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 11:44 am:

The rims look so close to being the same....but are not. No I have mounted 30 X 3.5" tires on all 5 rims. I have pics I can send to one of u guys that could have a look but I cant post on here for some reason ( I am VERY computer ILITERTATE ) ! Not a valve stem issue in fact if that was all there is rim would mount on the tire carrier and lock down, which it will not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Is it the spare rim that was in the front seat? (could be why it was in the seat! :-) ) Do the other rims fit the spare tire holder? If it were me, I would demount the bad one and find another rim that matches the rest. As stated above, not all rims will mix and match.

(Message edited by redmodelt on February 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Mark the assumption that it was in the front seat is correct it is the odd one from the set of 5. Four mount on the rims AND the Carrier. I need to know what the 4 are ...ie Hays/Kelsey or ? Then I can advertise for the one I need for the spare and offer the one I do not need to others with correct description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

No one can tell unless you post pictures of what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Here are Ed's pictures:

"These two are the non fitting rim."

"Here is what the 4 on the car look like."

"Just took these two."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Ed, from Steve's pictures, your spare rim is a Kelsey loose lug type rim common on our Canadian sourced cars. The wheels which take these have slots depressed in the steel felloe which accept the long leg on the loose lug. You can see these slots in the last photo. If your felloes do not have the slots, they will be of a slightly different diameter and therein lies your problem. The two different styles of rims engage on the felloe in different ways.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Alan. Thanks Mate ! We are only 70 miles from Canada at the Niagara Falls Crossing and about 35 miles is/was the Hamilton plant and Canadian T's are not all that uncommon around here so that would make some sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Ed, all of those rims appear to be Kelsey NO.88, they look identical to me. If the rims aren't too rusted on the tire side, they will be marked, Kelsey NO. 88. There is also another Kelsey rim that is made differently, but is also marked Kelsey NO. 88, and it interchanges with the same wheel. Can you post some pictures of why the one rim doesn't fit? Could it maybe be bent out of round? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

David. I took a number of pics but none would load. In fact one reason I hardly ever post is hat my computer has never let me load anything so I avoid putting anything on nthe Forum. The wood wheel is satmped KELSY DETROIT MICHIGAN with no number that I can find. It seems that the odd wheel is just a little small on the diameter. By playing with it today I did get it on the spare tire carrier by rotating till I found the sweet spot. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Ed, if it has a "sweet" spot, it would have to be bent or out of round it seems to me. I'd bet that's why it won't fit on the wheel. JMHO. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration