23 Touring Re-wood Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 23 Touring Re-wood Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

I need some experience in fitting the front door post to the firewall. I have looked back to previous posts and I can't find anything that gives a clear picture of the joints and bracket. I have a high cowl with a steel firewall. The wood kit was purchased from Lang's several years ago and I have found that most of the joints are fairly close, but this one baffles me. I don't have any of the old wood for this area of the car. A picture from someone who has solved this problem with the kit would be great or just a closeup of how it should look from someone who has cut out their own wood. I have the Mel Miller plans but they don't show the joint or bracket.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

PictureDoor post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

The joint you show is a tongue and groove joint.The metal piece shown is up side down and goes on passenger side of car.The small tab helps hold the cowl on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Look on Cubel's Fordwood website and in the Ford body parts list. I re-wooded my 24 from Mel Miller plans but I don't remember the details and my pictures have disappeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Do have the metal brackets in your cowl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

There are no metal brackets like those in your picture. The bracket in my picture was on the passenger side. The one on the drivers side is similar only longer. I think it screws to the top rail that comes around but it does not go all the way to the fire wall. There is bracket that bolts to each side of the fire wall but it's similar to an angle iron of about 45 degrees that screws to the wood s shaped brace. I can get some pictures of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

The 1923,24,and 25 had the brackets on both sides. The one on the right side is not as long as the one on the left side. They just took a wood trim piece. I will take a picture of my metal cowl with the brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

I have a '22 touring which I am rewooding...would appreciate any photos of the front/cowl area back to front doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Here's another picture. I think I'm going to have problems with the drivers side also.Drivers side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Jack, The joint looks like it could go together in the photo but it is cut at the wrong angle vertically and horizontally. That's why I hope to be able to see one before I start cutting on it. I don't have the skills or tools to make a new one from scratch. I think I'll hang the cowl on the firewall to see if I can get any clues as to the alignment of the braces and brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

My 24 did not have the upper metal bracket in Leon's post. I think that started with the 25 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Michael - the rails (top front) just butt into the pillar (panel) as shown in Mel's drawings on plates #1 & #4. Jack is correct - the bracket is upside down. Leon is correct - the bracket on the driver's side is longer since there is no door On that side. The brackets are recessed into the wood so that the body panels can still be flush to the frame. The top edge of the bracket is flush with the top edge of the rails. The brackets in Leon's photo is for the low cowl - you have a 1924 (late 23) high cowl Here is a photo of the drivers side. If you look close you can see the top of the bracket sticking above the rail.

Rail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:01 am:

Here is the right sideThis is the left side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:47 am:

William - your photo looks like part of a low cowl bracket as shown in Leon's photo. The high cowl brackets don't have the tab at the bottom and don't extent that far down the top front rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Thomas you would be correct the bracket fit on the same way they are just a lot shorter instead of having a solid piece of wood between the front pillar post and the doorpost on top you have a complete metal piece

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration