T 202 Front axle year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T 202 Front axle year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

A friend is working on a early T and found a T202 front axle, it has a early spindle but not one piece but early, any idea on year of axle, I know spindle could have been switched but its pretty frozen might be original, also no Ford script I can find, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

A few photo's might help, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Bob, many of the axles have the T202 identification. If there are makers marks like the Dodge Bros one or the T over W mark, these will help with dating.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Were some of these marked T-202-B.
It doesn't look like the spindle in the photo has the flat spots near the verticle part. Does that help date them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:26 am:

I see no marking but t 202 yes early spindle, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:28 am:

I'd guess @1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Need a photo of the circled area to see if it is pre - 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I agree with Jack, 1915. Had one just like it on 15 chassis I owned years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Wouldn't this have Ford on it if it was 1915
a few more photo's Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:14 am:

It looks like it has a TW under the T-202, so I'd guess it's late '13 on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

I just looked at my '24, it has a Ford script with TW below it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

No t w only w is all, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Clyde in Cedarville CA on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Hey, Bob

My '16 axle looks like yours. T-202 over W on both ends. Spindles have Round Flanges. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

It looks like a typical axle used from 1911 - 1918. Ford had several vendors, TW was used through the entire period. Ford script started to appear on front axles around 1919.

The front spindle shown is also from about 1911 - 1918. It does not have flat sides, so inner bearing race removal is tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

The T and W are superimposed. That is a Transue Williams axle. It's every bit as correct as a DB axle for a '13 or '14, but it will only bring half the price. I'd date it as '13-'15. Some time in '15, the perches were drilled for oil holes. Your axle does not have those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

no and the perches are the fat type not the slim ones, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

The perch also does not have the centering boss on the top. That seems to have shown up slightly before the oil holes did as I have a couple with no holes but do have the centering boss. That probably had a lot of crossover between '13 and '14 when both types were used. Sometime during 1915, the oil hole was added and the shackles simplified without the need for the fancy oilers.
Since the spindle arm in the right spindle does NOT have the speedometer drive mounting hole? It is likely a late '14/early'15 axle. With the perches turned backwards (probably for some type of shock absorber?), anything is possible without knowing the whats and whys of other changes that may have been made.
Mostly, the parts all appear correct for '13 to '15, mostly (except for the no boss no oil hole perch) also appropriate up until early '18.
Nice axle!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

All the parts are common for 1911 - 13. The fat perches went away in 1913.

The axle and the spindle are common to 11 - 18. There would have been three or more makers of axles in the period, including Herbrand, Transue Williams, and Dodge Brothers. The Dodge Brothers axles were used from 11 - 14 and are probably the most common, and for some reason they are also the easiest to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 03:06 am:

I have an axle on what I believe to be an all original 1911 chassis and the axle has T202 on the outside on one end and the same on the other end on the inside with no other marks. The one spindle has the TW on it with out flat sides for the inner bearing removal. The other spindle is unmarked. I guess that I could consider the other spindle and the axle to be Transue Williams to even though they do not have the marks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

So what he has is late 1911-13 good to know, I found another axle in my shed with the same fat style perches with no number or markings if I am correct didn't 1912 only used the un marked axle, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

What I learn over and over again from this forum is this:

If you make the same car for some 18 years with minor modifications on the way....wait about 100 years...you can NEVER know all there is to know about the darned things. Just amazes me. And further amazes me as to how much IS known.

Reminds me of the old joke about the F-111. Q: How many configurations were built? A: One for each tail number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

I remember years ago the only front axle with no markings was 1912 just trying to verify

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Any ideas on the ? 1912 axle with no numbers or script anywhere, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

BTT

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration