HELP-rear axle/ radius arms

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: HELP-rear axle/ radius arms
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Getting the old arms ready for rebuild of rear axle, just noticed as they were standing on end after cleaning them up that they are different lengths ! one is 58" the other 60", which is right length without finding out when I install the rear ? Didn't notice when I pulled the rear. I'm working on a '25 coupe but the rear is early, possibly a '18 as that is what the number on my motor is. This car has been through many hands and I know anything is possible !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Thomas, the radius rods on the 26-7 cars were shorter because of the larger backing plates. Perhaps you have one of those. If you look at the Y at the end, the correct rod for a small drum diff has straight legs on the Y. If there is a 26-7 rod in the mix, the legs of the Y will have an extra kink in them to clear the handbrake cam and arm.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

After doing a google search I see pictures of early/late arms, both of my arms have the same ends, both ends, no sign that either has been modified, they are of the stamped forked ends not forged, the forward ends are of the double nut adjustable. Does someone have an overall length, surly has to be closer than two inches !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

GUYS,some of the early 26 rods were double -nutted.I had a set for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Recently having rebuilt my 16 rear end, I found that there is a difference in lengths of the pre improved T's of about one inch. The earlier cars have a longer radius rod than the later ones. You will need to hunt around for another longer one if using the 18 rear end and drive line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Could the longer one be for a wide track?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I think I many have found where the problem is, I had thought there was a rust through where the brake rod support bracket was mounted but it seems to be more than that. I had figured to look for different arms 'cause these were badly pitted. I had mentioned the arms didn't seem to be modified, but now I'm not so sure. Dan Hatch says he will have some at Luray in May, if I get there! These cars don't come with a crystal ball showing the past 90+ years !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration