Need help 26 wood in cowl area?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need help 26 wood in cowl area?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

What is the correct way to attach the wood between the front door and the cowl on a 26 roadster? The piece of wood looks like it should be behind the door hinge in the cowl. There is one for each side. I would like see a pic if anyone has one. I can't tell if it screws bolts,nails or what. I had some pictures before but my cpu crashed and have lost all everything. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Tim, mine's a 27 but I think they're the same. Here's a picture taken as I was removing the tack strip. It is held in place by two screws which enter from the front side (side facing the firewall). I had to bend the vertical steel strip forward some to get the wood tack strip out.

I'll go take some more pics now. Hopefully they will make it clearer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Eric is correct. The piece of wood looks like a boat cleat and it's relieved in the areas near the hinge screws. The screws holding it in are hidden well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

The wood screws are round head, 3/16" shank and 11/16" long below the head.

The vertical runner and the door jamb between the hinges were pressed in on the wood tack strip. Don't know if that's factory work or if they were rattling and someone couldn't stand the noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Thanks Tom, Eric, I couldn't figure that out mine didn't have the wood kit in it.. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:52 am:

The wood there in my early '26 roadster was bolted in. That is, the passenger side was bolted with two small slotted round head machine screws with a square nut (no washer). The heads were in the side toward the front of the car. The drivers side was not attached in any way except by fiction. I assume that the installer at the factory only has so much time to drill the holes, put the machine screws through and tighten the nut. It makes sense that the later cars in production would have used screws as it would have been quicker and cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Will, thanks a lot that was exactly what i need to see. Thanks for the help..Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration