Starting issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starting issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

My T would be a nightmare to some of you. The body is definitely 1921, but the entire drive train is 26/27. It ran fine all last summer, but the spark lever was off just a little, all the way up was too retarded to start the engine, and I decided I needed to correct it. I find any time I touch the ignition timing on this car I have issues for a while till I sort it out. I am just not a good diagnostician, especially with ignition, and tuning .
The engine is a fresh rebuild, a 26 or newer block, there is no serial number on the block to identify it. It is almost completely broken in now. Aluminum pistons, Chaffin Travelers cam, all new valve train, Z head, Texas T distributor, and Webro carb. The magneto coils, and magnets are not still in the engine.
The issue I am having now is when trying to start it, after messing with the timing, is it keeps kicking the Bendix out. It almost starts, but before it does, it kicks the Bendix out . What is causing this? Please don't tell me to put an NH carb on it or go back to a stock ignition, that ain't gonna happen, and besides it ran just fine until I messed with the timing, and this carb never drips gas if I do not shut off the fuel line .
It was running fine until a week before Christmas, when I touched the distributor to move the spark lever up to the top. Yesterday I went through, all of the steps to set the timing, and we did get it to start, and it ran very well (did not take it out of the garage). I let it cool down, and tried to start it again, and it started kicking the Bendix out.
What do I look for next?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Have you confirmed that the timing is set to 15 degrees after top dead center with the arm all the way up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Yup already did that - thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

The gear on the cam shaft for the Texas T Parts distributor is the nut. The nut has probably come loose on yours, which will cause timing to be all over the place.

Bear in mind that the spark should occur just after TDC on the power stroke. This is the piston traveling down after the compression stroke. In a distributor ignition the spark happens when the points open. Maybe you set the timing to happen when the points close? Just guessing.

The lawn mower carburetors are just terrible, you need to re - think that. Big trouble. Not your current problem, but a surprise tow home lurks there for some fine day when you least expect it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Yup already did that - thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Didn't mean to post the last response - sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:51 am:

As Royce suggested, you're loosing your timing setting somehow. Go through your distributor set-up and advance/retard linkage and look for something slipping. Maybe it's your timing arm being loose and slipping on the distributor head.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration