Speedster Radiator racing Number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster Radiator racing Number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David W Gross on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Putting together a 1916 Speedster and I want to add my racing #144 on the radiator like I see in the old pictures. How did they do it back then? How did they get it so clearly applied to all those fins? Some of those racers are awesome looking. I want to do it the same way it was done then.

Hoping to do it in white. Any help/history lesson appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

I taped off the number and painted with the same body paint. Urethane with a paint gun. I believe I did three coats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:27 am:

David, Try posing the question on the Northwest Vintage Speedster site.

http://www.nwvs.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I would suspect they used a brush and not too thick paint. Paint can inhibit cooling.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:35 am:

David, it helps if you have a graphics program or know someone with a program (like Photoshop) where you can create large numbers in a font that you like. My racer is numbered 55 and I created a number 5 that pretty well filled a piece of legal sized paper. After printing two of them I placed each paper under a piece of clear plastic (from the stationary section of dept stores) and cut out the black portion of the letter leaving me with a plastic stencil. With the radiator off it's easy to position the stencils where you want them and then spray the numbers. Depending on the radiator type you may have to spray several times - angling the spray left, right, fore and aft each time in order to get complete coverage so that the numbers will show up good. It's best to do this off the car as the excess paint can drip off and not run down the backside.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David W Gross on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:19 am:

wow, thanks Garnet. thats exactly what I'll do! that looks great

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration