Wood or kevlar band with this drum, Wood bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wood or kevlar band with this drum, Wood bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I have a 26 brake drum what is worn uneven across its surface. The brake surface has a small increase step from center to the outer edge. Will the wood band in time conform or should I use a softer material like the kevlar. I would the cotton if I could find it.

Also, the ad for the wood bands state that the wood could last 10-15 years even if used correctly. Any experience here using wood band? I am doing this car to pass to a grandson so I want it to last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Kevlar IS NOT softer - I might have some Mark Auto white cotton lining left - drop me a note if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Tyrone,

In my experience, it is worth it to correct the drum and then use whatever band material that you prefer.

Depending how severe it is worn and the location of the wear, Kevlar can fray. I'm sure this is true for any woven material.

I am dealing with this now because of an uneven surface created between the drum and driven plate.

For what it's worth, I plan to give wood bands a shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Dan. For what its worth, i installed wood bands in a speedster I built for a guy. It is a wide brake, pop-up pistons and a secondary tranny. It may have 50 miles on it but no problem with the bands holding and smooth. We race cars. Me in my model A speedster and him in his T speedster and he gets me off the line every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

I have wood bands in 2 of my T's and like them. It may take awhile until they break in and become smooth operating, but then they'll last for a long time. Before the wood bands, I had Kevlar in one engine and got a broken low gear drum from it. It didn't shatter and tear up the mag ring like some have had, but I decided I wouldn't use Kevlar after that.

Now that I've said all that, we were at The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village recently and spoke with Ken Kennedy who runs the repair shop for all the T's driven and giving rides in Greenfield Village. He said they run Kevlar in all of their T's and put on 7 to 11,000 miles on each one of them per year. They have T drivers with various levels of experience driving the T's and have no band problems apparently.

Your mileage may vary....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

The drums in my speedster were less than pristine but what I had at the time. A friend with a lathe took a kiss off the top and we used a file and some emery cloth to smooth them up. Still not great but I put them in. Have run those drums for 20 years now and a LOT of miles with wood bands. Love 'em. Drums are more polished now but I'll stay with wood. I think I'm still on my second set, I retired the first set while all was apart to replace a broken crank.

My coupe has very nice drums and I put in Kevlar bands which I try to keep just tight enough so they won't slip when fully engaged. I like Kevlar but only with good to excellent drums and proper adjustment.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration