LUGS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: LUGS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I have 6 used demountable rims. 2 are split 4 are not. The 4 were not a set, they were purchased at different times. In all 6 cases, the hole in the lug that is closest to the inner tube stem is wobbled out and elongated. WHY !!! Is this common or a coincidence ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Tom, the 'wobbled out' lug is a necessary factory application. When fitting the rim/tyre assembly, the valve stem is dropped through the felloe first. To get the nearest lug over the wheel bolt the whole assembly has to be screwed around a bit, and the elongation in the lug hole allows this to be done. I had a friend who 'repaired' the 'worn' lug holes, only to have to file them out again.

On Chevs, the closer proximity of the valve stem to the nearest lug meant that their lug had to be slotted to allow the rim to be lowered over the bolt. This makes identifying Chev rims easy to us Ford guys.

hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:38 am:

Tom, what Allan said. To add to what Allan said, those rims and wheels are Hayes. Also, the Chevy style that he referred to, have the valve stem hole in a different location. They can still be used on the T wheels, but the valve stem hole has to be relocated. That being said, this information is for the 30 x 3 1/2 rims/wheels. I don't know for sure about the 21" wheels/rims, but I think the same information applies. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration