1916 touring top installation, straps on bows

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 touring top installation, straps on bows
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Working on a 1916 touring, owner fabricated a neat system ( not as complicated as it looks!) to position bows. Older kit Top from Carters....so....

Questions are : do 1916 cars have canvas straps, located toward middle of car a few inches inside pads? If so, how far from pads and centerline? Any specifications available on exact location of pads?

Owner has given me a lot of information and specifications, but placement of pads and front to back straps seems hard to come by. Any help or dimensions appreciated !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:50 am:

David,

Have you looked here- http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/installation-videos

Pads should roughly center on the radius of the bows, or said another way, the outboard edges of the pads should be just covered by the top itself when the top is installed.

Keep in mind that the canvas straps are there to help support the top from being pushed down when you are driving down the road. They will be installed a couple if inches inboard of the attachment points for the rear tie down straps, and run parallel to each other.

Good luck
Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Thanks....I've installed T tops before, and know about where everything goes, this owner is very meticulous so seeing if anyone had precise measurements! Thanks....the videos are interesting. I've learned it's much easier to SHOW someone how to do an upholstery task than it is to TELL them how to do it! Thanks again...David Coco Winchester Va

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

The Classtique video's are nice, but they don't show how to install the top pads. The video starts with the pads already installed and Elizabeth telling you what's inside one. Myself I would've preferred seeing exactly how to set the pads on the corners (I'm assuming you sink a nail or staple in each bow in at least two places and it looks like quite a few round the front bow), you know what's the best way to tack something to hold it in place without mucking it up when you either have to move it or actually finish the mounting. The blanket stitch was a for gone conclusion, you use that also when putting the bow drill on the bows.

The center straps are equal distance from the sides of the pads to the center of the top on both sides (do not nail the straps to the second and third bow, only the first and fourth bow). They nail from the front bow to the last bow but not down to the seat back rail.

Always hang the rear curtain first, then lay the top deck and get it settled in the corners...Elizabeth tells the rest pretty well, if you do it the way she's telling you...you'll have a really nice looking top installation.

If your bows are the originals, there should be some indication as to where the rear curtain straps footman loop mounts, the base of the strap hangs round your top saddle bracket. You want to cinch up the straps not tighter than the curtain but at about the same tautness (more than likely you already have this dimension).

My car is an early 22 and also has a 2 man top, but I'm sure it's a wee bit different than your installation, but the methods should be the same, the difference will be where and how many top traps yours has...mine has only two, but I have seen as many as three and on one car I saw a "X"ing pattern from bow to bow...don't know if that correct or not, but it did look nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Martin, thanks, that's very helpful. I did not realize that on T's the strap was not attached to middle two bows, interesting. The kit for this car (it is an older Carter's kit) has two straps, cut almost exactly to length.

Yes, the rear curtain on any open car always goes on first, then the top panel can lap over the back seam to help waterproof.

You nailed it on the video, they start in the middle so to speak, when a lot of the top "underwear" is already on, and that's half the job! They also assume they're talking to a trimmer who knows the basics, not good for a beginner.

There's no magic to making or putting on early tops, just a sequence of events that need to be followed, and a few little tricks.

Thanks again...David Coco Winchester Va.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration