Pie wagon update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pie wagon update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:01 am:

A few changes

Beforebefore

Some additions
ongoing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:10 am:

Looking good Rod, keep it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Here's a resized photo. This site shows a daily progression on the car:
http://www.customfurniture.net/1911/
It is coming along much as I anticipated. Most all of the bolt on's are complete and most of the existing brass has been polished. New white tires coming tomorrow, then i\the fenders will be removed and I'll pound out the dents and re-paint.

Rodresized

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Always good to see fresh energy being applied to a project... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

My hope of finding her a good home went way beyond my expectations of doing so. She looks FANTASTIC! Thank you very much Rod. Keep up the outstanding work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

My hope of finding her a good home went way beyond my expectations of doing so. She looks FANTASTIC! Thank you very much Rod. Keep up the outstanding work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry LaPatka- East Tennessee on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Rod....sent you a email from profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Nice to see its in good hands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Rod. Looks good, its always nice to see the progression of somebody else's projects. It helps keep us motivated ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Thanks guy's for all the kind comments. Larry I replied to your regular email.

It looks like the fenders and body will require a complete renovation, probably in April/May. I'll stick with the Black/Green combination, body and hood in green and fenders black, all base/clear coat. I once built and painted an all wood trailer in the base/clear and it came out very smooth.

Below is a photo taken outside. below that is the trailer

out

two

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Can't wait to see what graphics you decide to paint on the sides! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Mark,
Being my interests lie in a wide variety of classic/antique cars as well as petroliana and anything 50's I'm thinking of "Rod's Historic vehicles and petroliana" With an appropriate early garage setting with visible gas pump. Gotta work on that. Conversely, with the green and black colors I could go more generic with a "Polygas or "Cities Service" graphic.
I'm open to ideas.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Are those sealed beams inside the headlights? I don't guess I've ever seen a sealed beam conversion for original lights. I have a pair of all brass with sealed beams but they are repops for a speedster. I looked at your pictures and they look like original JNO Brown lights. Nice pie wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Moved the seat back and added a solid cherry seat rizer (still to be stained etc;), added white tires and painted the wheels green. Next up is a cherry firewall, brass windshield frame and white floor mat. I'm strongly leaning toward a cherry veneer for the inside walls to tie it all together.

Rod

white tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Rod,

What's the chance of having you return my car? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Rod,

What's the chance of you returning it to ME?

Lookin' good. A real beauty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Rod, it looks fantastic and I still wish I could have bought it myself. Keep it up, I am following to see the great transformation.

Mark, you had your chance, LOL. Now get back to work selling parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Pluggin away here!
Built the rear doors and installed them, I would have liked smaller windows, but those were all that was available.
The paint is temporary just to protect the raw wood until the real painting begins.
The firewall was a bit of a chore, but it is installed. The windshield frame is just dry fitted to make sure everything worked before trying it with the glass in.

Rod

doors

firewall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Awesome job! Looks fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 06:18 am:

Unbelievable. Just fantastic work. Is the glass, safety glass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 08:34 am:

If the choice of graphics comes down to Cities or Polly, I'd vote for the latter. It's a beautiful trade mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 04, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Beautiful truck but I still don't see any pies! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

A few more projects completed on the PW:
Brass windchield installed. seat riser stained and finished to match new firewall (both Cherry).
Found a brass horn on ebay, cleaned polished and installed it. Next is a cherry panel with oval window to serve as a bulkhead behind the seat, it will slso be matched to the seat riser & firewall.
New fenders will be here in a couple of weeks and then painted (base/clearcoat) probably by the end of April.
Just soldiering on :-)
front
3/4
side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

What a transformation! I'm running out to my garage to see what I can get done. Very motivating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Nice work Rod!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Just a tease photo ;)
The body work is complete and I have started the base/clear coat spraying. Over 100 man hours into block sanding, filling,priming and block sanding over and over again. At some point you have to say enough, it will have to do. The photo is after 3 coats of base and 5 coats of clear. I estimate I have sanded off two of the clear coats to achieve a super smooth swirl free finish starting off with 1000 grit and progressing to 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000. Then compounding several times followed with a machine application of polish.
Fenders are next.

Rod

clear coat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Smoooooooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Back in the day, the body maker would have applied one coat of color, maybe with a coat of primer first, and it was out the door. :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on April 23, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Yeh, but he wasn't a perfectionist ;)

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Wow, you don't mess around. That looks great. I cannot believe the difference from when purchased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 10:25 am:

For those that maybe interested, there is a handmade model of a Model T pie wagon on Craigslist in the Chicago area. Looks like a neat model for only $40 asking. It is not mine nor do I have any connection with it. Just thought someone here with a pie wagon might be interested. Go to the Antiques section of For Sale on Chicago's Craigslist and its on the first page about half way down.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 04:41 am:

Rod, that is absolutely beautiful! I have a question though, what will happen to the finish as the wood expands/contracts with humidity changes? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:16 am:

David, I used an additive (flex agent) that is normally used when painting on plastic bumpers etc, this allows for bending contraction etc.

Here is a comparison photo showing before/after.
The body exterior is now complete. I'm now working to solve an engine miss that occurs on acceleration. I have narrowed it down to a leaking intake manifold gasket.compare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:25 am:

One other thing, I have decided on a Pollygas theme for the sides. there are two 26" round metal signs on order and should be here in the next week. I went with the metal signs over decals or painted because of the ease of removal.polly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Well Mark, what do you think? Would look good with Chaffin's on the side. Don't you agree? All I can say is WOW! Rod you have done an amazing transformation on this Model T. And you have every right to be extremely proud of your effort. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Thanks Tom,
Your fenders and hood played no small part in the process. took a little persuasion with the front fender irons, but in the end they fit pretty good. Those homemade aprons were a real challenge to straighten out. At last count, all the additions, original cost of car and shipping (no labor, Well I bought myself a cup of coffee - I work cheap)I'm into it about 14K, paint supplies being the most expensive.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Rod is a true craftsman! Fantastic work! Couldn't have asked for a better caretaker. Glad to know she found a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:01 am:

Thanks Rod, I never thought of that. Great idea! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Here she is as a Pollygas representative.
I think it needs a bit more, perhaps some yeoolw pin-striping? Any suggestions?

Rod

polly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Yep, pinstriping with some tasteful scroll work in the corners?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Good idea! I'd get some pinstripe tape and try a few ideas out. There's a lot of round shapes going on there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Maybe experiment with a third color for the pinstripes, like red? Then put red pinstripes on the spokes to carry the theme further? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Polly Gas had a slogan "make your engine fly"...maybe you can put that slogan above or below the sign

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

It looks very good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:23 am:

All very good ideas. I think I'll try some striping tape first,
I hadn't heard of the "Make your engine fly" slogan, it might be worth a try. Very hard to get any info on pollygas.
Thanks guys for all the input, it is appreciated!

Rod
Another photo from the out of the direct sun viewpoint.

polly2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:03 am:

just be careful that it doesn't get too "Circus Wagon" looking. I'd suggest you pin stripe the hood, up the back, up the front, and along side the center hinge. Don't do "boxes." Maybe some scroll in the lower corners, or a simple clean stripe around the outline of the body.

Looking good!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Got some striping tape to try before actually committing to the real thing. I think I'm onto something here. All they had was a gold metallic but I kind of like it. Comments pro or otherwise are welcome

Rodstripes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Rod-
I like it. Not too gaudy. However, I would suggest a thinner pin stripe. Put the emphasis on "pin".

I like a stripe that is about 1/16" . A subtle accent.
No wider than 3/32".
1/8" is too wide.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I really like it. You need to do the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

I did a video of the car here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyuQCi750xQ

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Great video! Good demonstration of the use of the accessory brake handle extension as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

I thought it about time to updte the update :-).
As you can see, I've added some more lettering. I like it but the box is not square and I measured from the bottom up, so it looks a little crooked.
I also added the brass panels in the lower boxes because the plywood underneath did not take the paint very well. not too sure about this, I may paint the brass panels green?
About a month ago I came across a fairly recent rebuilt 1924 engine/trans,(about 4000 miles on them) so I swapped engines. Sounds nd drives much better now. On August 1st it goes into the upholstery shop. I'm thinking diamond tuft and buttoned for the seat and side walls with plain headliner all in black leather. The back I'll do myself, probably all 1/4" cherry ply.
also still have the glass to pickup from the glass shop. As you can see in the photo, the left front tire has discolored. Universal offered to replace it, but I have to pay all the shipping. By the time I have it mounted and pay the shipping
I might just as well order a new one.
That's it for now.

lettering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Better photo

better

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Like! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

What a great deal of progress. It is awesome looking like it is. All the brass really made it look great. Well worth all the work!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Hi Rod - Is that a new radiator or did you just polish the old one? If that's the old one, what did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Jesse,
new radiator, and I use "Prism" on all the brass.

One thing I didn't mention earlier was the "polly" signs are reversible. We are big Oregon Ducks football fans, so I painted the back of the signs black and then applied some Duck Spirit lettering to them. I just reverse the signs on Game day and we go tail gating in style.

REVERSE IMAGE
ducks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Excellent work Rod. I was taught " you couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear " but you have proved otherwise. You might just consider longer stay rods on the windscreen so it can be kept straight up and down.

Well done!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Then he'd lose the aerodynamics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Thanks Rod for the up-date It looks Great!! nice changes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

Who's making signs that size? I thought my old outfit was the only one, but that doesn't look like my design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Jeff,
I bought them from "Vic"s 66" In Seattle. Didn't see a manufacturer on them.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Looking at Vic's website a lot of the signs do appear to be from SignPast. The site says they're 26", but I'll bet they're really 25".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration