OT - Anyone live in the Florida Keys ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Anyone live in the Florida Keys ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:07 am:

I am dropping off a 1920 Touring T in Coral Gables

Thinking about driving to Key West after dropping the trailer
because I have never done it before ...

I know it is a 2 hour minimum trip - a lot longer if there is an accident or heavy traffic ...

Any members live in the Keys ?

Thanks !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Jim;
I don't live there, but I have been to Key West several times. Spent several weeks camping in the Keys. Would love to drive there again.It is a beautiful drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I don't - I'm presently in Cape Coral, but I have "done" the drive to the Keys. It's a great trip and the seven-mile bridge is a highlight, but this is high season for Florida. I would expect heavy traffic. Key West is a fun place (Think Provincetown, MA South), but Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville bar is not much. Overall, it was a great experience and I'd do it again - in July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:40 am:

If you go into Capt. Tonys'. When you walk in go to the left side of the bar, about half way down, look above you. If you see a bra with OH on one cup and IO on the other, I was married to that woman who put it there.
Good times past. I always have a shot of Jim Beam under that, every year when we go.
If you stay in Marathon, North end of the 7 mile bridge, there is a shuttle that runs to Key West, I think its only about 6 bucks, spending a day in Key West is usually enough for me.

greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Thanks Guys !

My nephew Dave is in law school & lives just outside Coral Gables - I just talked with him & will try to visit with him ..

Beautiful weather right now - I am sprawled out on a picnic T table along I -75 in Big Cypress National Preserve ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Don't miss the Mel Fisher Museum, he found the Atocha, a Spanish gold laden ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:15 am:

When in Key West, be sure to take the Conch Train Tour. They drive around the city pointing out all the sites and a little about them.
If u see anything interesting, u can check it out later on a bike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Actually I stopped at the Mel Fisher Museum last year when I picked up the Model T Torpedo for the MTFCA Museum.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Man hotel rooms are expensive around Miami right now ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

JIM,
When I read your last post the first thing that came to my mind was -
Why doesn't he just get a cot and sleep in the trailer?

Then I thought - He would have to find a way to lock the door from the inside!

Then I imagined you sleeping in the trailer and someone stealing your rig.

Better not sleep in the trailer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Fred,

I actually have a pool style lounge that I got for $20 on clearance at Walmart last year that I keep in the trailer .... :-)

In markets where hotel rooms are $$$$$ - I take showers at truck stops or work out & shower at Planet Fitness.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

There is no Dumb Pollock Slavery Market Demand so me thinks I am safe from kidnappers .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Tell mike mccloud the singer Rooster from Montana said hi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:22 am:

From my trailer in the Home Depot parking lot near Coral Gables, FL .....

All the doors open enjoying a calm breeze & a view of many undocumented workers looking for day jobs ....

Not exactly " poolside " but nonetheless taking a break on
my $20 Walmart clearance pool chaise lounge ....

This is the unofficial weather report for the greater Miami area:

Hot & Humid ....

Mostly clear skies

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Jim
place a cup of water next to your lounge and you can say that you are pool side.
No one will have to know that it is a pool for the Florida bugs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration