Era correct- Gramdma's apron

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Era correct- Gramdma's apron
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Hey Herb, I remember Grandmas apron so well. Your post brought back a lot of memories of being the youngest of the boy cousins in the family. I was always several steps behind everyone else but never quit trying to keep up. But one of my favorite memories was seeing grandma standing in the backyard with cookies cradled in her apron and not handing them out until I caught up. I was really glad when I finally got old enough to run with the rest of the pack. But then we always had to wait for that little "snot-nosed brat" Rick. And he just never seemed to be able to keep up with us big guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

That's a nice piece Herb. This is a little "OT" but your post reminds me of my Dad's shop apron that is now a prized possession of mine. Dad always had some project he was working on in his little shop in "his" corner of the basement where his "L" shaped bench was,.....I'd come home from school and often go down in the basement to see what he was building and sometimes even "help" when he needed a "third hand". That shop apron of his has a little bit of many of his "projects" still in it, and the last thing I'd ever do is wash it. Still in good shape and that black and white vertically striped material sure must have been tough stuff as there is not a tear or worn spot in it, but the tie-straps are pretty well worn out. I have his shop apron hanging in my little shop, but seldom wear it as I'd hate to add any stains of my own as I know that right now, every stain of paint, glue, wood stain, and yes, even "plastic wood" represent a few of the many memories of my Dad, who taught me as much by what he did than anything he ever said,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Dang it Harold, now I can't see the screen clearly. Must be these glasses. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

I guess I'm old, because my mother also had an apron. Not very many women wore slacks or pants until late 1950's. Even then they wore them to work if they worked in a factory, but at home or when visiting or when shopping they wore dresses. The apron was put on when they were doing the housework. It could be easily removed when company came or it could be exchanged for a clean apron while they cooked in the kitchen.

Men also wore work aprons in the factories. Here is a picture of my grandfather and his brother at their furniture factory. Note the necktie!

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

I worked at the Owatonna Tool Company up until 1995. Several of the machinists still wore aprons. I wouldn't be surprised to find they still do. I also remember seeing photos of some of the guys working in the shop with their neckties tucked into the inside of their shirts. I think most of those photos were taken before or during WW2. By the time I came along and started machining we wore short sleeved shirts that had to be tucked in and company supplied caps. Long hair, neckties, long sleeves, rings, watches, necklaces and shirt tails hanging out could be cause for disciplinary action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Ok, now I may be middle aged but I'm not a grandma! I wear an apron, especially when I work on my trucks. It keeps all the grease off my shirt and pant fronts, and gives me a pocket to tuck in an extra socket or two. I don't remember my mom wearing one, but my grandmother did as well as a favorite aunt. My machinist/mechanic son brings me his laundry. I wish HE wore an apron at work. It sure would make it easier to get his clothes clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

LOL ... I wear an apron every day since I work in a photographic darkroom. Remember darkrooms? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I bought a couple denim aprons at the Wood craft store a few years ago,thinking I could wear them and keep from getting holes and such in my shirt. But I aint coordinated enough to tie the blame thing! And usually once I get the thing on, I always have to to go the bathroom and take it right back off. i have a leather 1 I bought for welding as I do get tired of burnt holes in my clothes and ME when I am sitting and welding.But there again, I can't tie it good and it will come loose. Why can't they make them velcro like they do old man shoes?
I wear boots most of the time and I can see the strings and tie them but when i can't see a string, I can't tie it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Not an apron, but my Mom has her Mom's bonnet. She keeps it hanging on the dasher of my grandmother's churn. She says she remembers my grandmother wearing it while sitting on the porch in a rocking chair churning butter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration