Correct Set Up For 26/27 engine but brass radiator and fan.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Correct Set Up For 26/27 engine but brass radiator and fan.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

So, time to update and get some more input. I'm painting the "correct" parts and installing them on my 26/27 Nov. 25 engine.
As I understand it, with fingers crossed, I may be able to keep and use the high head and inlet with a brass radiator. I'm using the curved fan bracket and the fan blade and pulley assembly as one unit with the long fan bracket bolt and cotter pin and adjusting bolt and lock nut on the adjusting casting.

I have installed the original lower water outlet on the side on the engine with a wire clip for the wiring harness on the front bolt head.

Do I need to replace the water outlet with a different style to get close to fitting a brass radiator? Now's the time to do it, I guess.

Frame still on trailer awaiting break in weather for sandblasting, priming and painting, so I'm not to th e point of installing the motor on the frame and test fitting things yet.

Just want to know what to start shopping for.

Thanks for revisiting.

Again, end product will be WWI 1915 Light Patrol Vehicle with 26/27 engine. A restocreation Model T salad. Or Franken T .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I am a little confused....
Are you using the 26/7 fan and water outlet? If so I doubt they will fit a brass radiator. Even the black radiator outlet may not fit. You need the very short outlet used prior to 1917. You may get away with the high head, not sure about that one...
The inlet at the side should be no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Along these same lines. Were the late model Fire Cars made by Ford? You see them all the time with bodies that would have had high heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I'm good at confusing as I'm a newbie and the terminology sometimes gets me. I first addressed this on a 2015 thread and several comments were that I would need to replace my high head with a low head to get it to fit the radiator. Others said that I would not, but would need a different inlet or outlet, or both.
In my mind, the top one is the inlet and the side mounted lower one with the tube is the outlet, but I'm sure I have it backwards.

I'm using the brass radiator fan, pully, curved fan bracket and my late 25 timing cover still has the adjustment bolt casting, so I'm using that as well for the fan bracket. Along with a brass radiator, of course.

I'd rather not replace the head unless I have to.

What water radiator hose tubes connections will I need to swap out? The top one or the side mounted one. The top one has the later fan pully bracket on it that I will not be using.

Sorry for the confusion. It was my major in college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Get one of the early top outlets.You ma have a bit of a chore getting the hose on it,but it should work I 'm running a 26 block/low head on my speedster,and it works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Looks like I might need one of these to lower the dangle of the angle on the head mounted water outlet?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-ford-cylinder-head-water-outle t-connection-upper-cast-iron.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Yes, Robert...confusion easily happens to us all.

Different people call different parts by different names these days...e.g. "outlet" - I suppose it depends from which part the coolant is flowing :-)

(Pictures help)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Not me. Long story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

There is a brass radiator to head connector for sale in classified.

By Bill Anziani on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 01:20 pm:
Water inlet for 09-19 $25.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:32 am:

You need;
1909 to 1916 water OUTLET (upper)*
riveted fan/pulley
bent fan arm
correct fan belt

You can use the high head. You do have to use the riveted fan assembly and bent arm. The blades on the later fan/pulley even using the bent arm are just a little to long.

Except for some small design changes the water INLET was the same for ALL years. (side water connection in above diagram)

*The description of needed parts are for the parts mounted ON the engine not the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

OK, I guess we are all saying the same thing without anyone actually saying it. I've got the riveted fan blade/pully assembly, curved bracket, bracket bolt with cotter pin, fan blade and pully bolt, fan bracket adjusting bolt and locking nut.

I will need to swap out the water connection from the head to the radiator hose to the brass radiator. After assembly, I will measure and see what size fan belt I need.

Thanks for the lead on the water head to readiator connection (inlet/outlet)? I'm still confused. I think it's an outlet, but the guy selling a used one is calling it an inlet.

TO THE BNAK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Your not, he is! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

What I did was brass radiator high head fan and pulll from the early 20s but had to shave an inch off each blade oh you need the bent fan arm everything you need was availible repo when I did this last time in around 2009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 08:00 am:

I'm one bolt away from completion, plus the fan belt. I'll post a pic when done for inspection.

Thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration