Model t split rim installation question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model t split rim installation question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Hey guys ! Hope everyones wintering well , springs just around the corner !! Working on my dads tt with him and we are trying to mount the front tires on the rims , we have the rim spreader tool but cannot seem to get the two ends of the rim together enough to get the latch in the seat no matter which position the tool is in , I figured that before we did any damage to the tire or rim , Id ask the guys who know if theres a trick to it to make it work ? Dad took a chunk outta his hand with a screwdriver trying to make the ends go together so figured wed stop there for tonight . Any help is appreciated , thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Travis, try the rim jack in a couple different positions. Sometimes one way does not work for one rim but, it does for another. You could also cut out two pieces of wood that are rounded on one side to match the rim. You lay one piece on one side of the split then lay the other piece on the other side. Then you use a jack to push the two boards apart thus spreading the rim. What ever you do, do not crank the rim out too far or you may kink it. Here is a thread that shows a few different methods that I've used successfully.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/285189.html?1337808736
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

My father would use a model T screw type jack and jack against the lugs on either side of the split to expand and then latch the rim. I've mounted 6 tires using this technique. Just don't over do. respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Several years back I was having similar problems and posted a photo of my set-up. One of our posters sent back a drawing over my photo with the following tip on the spreader set-up.

Many thanks to him. It works. Sorry I don't remember his name.

Others may have a better suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:32 am:

It helps to heat the tires up so as to make them a bit more flexible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig in SoCal on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Use a bigger hammer!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Got it !! Thanks , the ford jack between the lugs works the best !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration