Old Photo - Model T Era Hot "DOG" Stand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era Hot "DOG" Stand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

The look on the dog's face is less than inviting. Maybe they mandate that you put ketchup on your dog! :-) Thanks Jay for another great pic of Americana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

I agree John, It looks like That dog definitively could use a good "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:35 am:

This photo has appeared many times on the net. It was featured in a book titled "California Crazy" which is about the many buildings in Los Angeles built in the 20's-30's using programmatic architecture. Most of which were apparently built in a 2-3 miles radius of one another.

The most notable thing about this photo of the newly built "Pup Cafe" formerly located on Washington Blvd. in Culver City, is the fact that this photo was taken by the famous outdoor photographer Ansel Adams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:50 am:

I know that dog, it was on Washington Blvd. My grandfather took me there to get chocolate malts and hamburgers. It sat there on that street until about 1970 or so, then it was moved and used as a movie prop (much later it was in the Rocketeer). It used to say, MALTS down one leg and ICE CREAM down the other. When I was a kid I used to love to see it lit up at night, there is a neon rings around the eyes that glowed orange and there was a spot light at sidewalk level...hamburgers were rather greasy as I recall, but they made a damn good malts.

The other place on that street was just about a block or so down from the dog was Sterns Bar-B-Que with sawdust on the floor and 1015 Wurly by the counter. The best damn bar-b-que in all of LA, been there since 1922 when Washington Blvd was little more than a muddy street. It was torn down sometime after the big dog was moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Doggy Diner

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration