Spark Plug Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark Plug Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:17 am:

I know spark plugs have been a been discussed here before, but I was wondering if someone has had a similar experience. When I purchased my T it has seized engine from water getting in the pistons. It had fairly new looking Champion 25 plugs in it. It appears that the threads on plug do not seat very well in the head. The cause for water getting in the pistons. The 25 plugs seem to fire better than the set of Autolite 3095 that I have. However, the Autolite seem to seat better than the Champion. Has anyone else had trouble with Champion 25 not seating well? I was considering getting a new set, but I do not want to spend the money on them if that is a common problem. I have attached a picture of what I currently have and what I was thinking about purchasing. Thanks, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Can't answer the "seating question" for you, but I believe I've read where some of the guys have used some sort of pipe thread sealant to solve that problem. Try that. Are you sure the water isn't from a faulty head gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:37 am:

My guess would be a faulty head gasket, the plugs are a tapered pipe thread so one should not seat better than another unless the threads are corroded I have seen pipe dope used to correct a sealing problem but my "T" mentor didn't like that idea because of the heat he had me use a small section of aluminium foil wrapped around the threads (Clockwise) then install the plugs haven't had one leak yet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:39 am:

It could have been the head gasket. I was told it was stored in a car port for a few years, so it was not protected very well from rain. I am definitely getting leakage around the plug, so I assumed that was the original problem. I sprayed a little WD40 around the plugs while it was running and I can see where it is leaking around the plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:49 am:

The aluminum foil is an interesting idea. The plugs I have do not have the sharp point on the threads like one shown in the picture. I was not sure if that was a common, or maybe I have bad batch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Tim,

Most spark plug thread troubles I've seen are due to plug threads having an incomplete form. The tip of the threads are not sharp and are either blunt, or have a small groove, or concavity at what should be the tip of the thread. This leaves a leak path as the plug thread does not 100% fill the female threads in the plug hole, no matter how tight you make the plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:46 am:

O.K., I see I didn't read all your posts. Yes, that's your problem and it's not due to bad "batch", because they're usually all like that. It comes from producing an item that you have absolutely no idea of how it's used. All too common these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Jerry,

Your description of the thread sounds exactly what my threads look like. I was hopeful mine was the exception, but not really surprised by your response. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

So, is there enough metal in the plug body to run a good pipe die on them and clean up the threads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Buy a set of used Champion X plugs with an ad in the Forum classified or check out E-bay or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Aluminum and steel don't like each other. If I was using Aluminum foil as a thread sealer, I would pull the plugs a couple of times each year, clean the threads and replace the Aluminum foil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

In looking at many A25's, I have found some with "flat" threads and some with sharp threads. I think it is the flat ones that leak. I'm with Ted---buy X's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Teflon tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Thank you for all the suggestions. X's would be nice. Maybe someday they will be in the budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Use the cheap plugs until you can find good used X's at a swap meet. If you're patient, eventually you'll find them for $5 to $10. No need to buy new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I use old X's. I find they work best. Since they are used, you gotta sort through some duds of course. But cleaning & re-gapping usually gets them going

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Hey Tim, if your car sat long enough with water being available to run into a cylinder, it'll happen. My hood is WAY wrong and water ran along the hinge and into cylinder #2 and locked it up over the course of several years. It worked just like a funnel. :-)
My old plugs all leak a little too. There's even oil up there to prove it. :-)
One would think that when the head was off to swat that stuck cylinder that I would've cleaned up the threads with a tap. Nope, I never thought about it. :-/
I don't leave it outdoors anymore. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

I use aircraft Permatex sealant on the plug threads to stop any leaking. Works great. It does not care what brand plug you are using. Use a little oil around where the plug screws in while the engine is running.....if you see bubbles then you have a leak around the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Les, Where do you get the aircraft Permatex sealant. That is another interesting idea. I sure appreciate all the helpful advice. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Tim: Email me about plugs. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration