How hard is it to install a pickup bed on a roadster?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How hard is it to install a pickup bed on a roadster?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

In case you guys haven't guessed from my many posts regarding my grandfather's 23/24 Roadster recently, I may be acquiring the car soon. For sake of increasing carry capacity and the fact that I just plain like trucks I am considering taking the trunk off of it and installing either one of Ken's or Lang's wooden 13'-25' pickup beds on it. How hard is the swap out? What does it entail? Is it easy to switch back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Pull four bolts, lift and carry, put four bolts in, job done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:22 am:

Do you wish to sell the trunk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 07:48 am:

I did it with my stock '25. Took off the original turtle and put on an original, steel pu box. It certainly was a bit more involved that the 4 bolts but not too bad. There is quite a bit of sheet metal on both the platform and the box that needs to fit together. I took about two days to make the switch plus extra time for the rear fender set up. Came out looking nice. I love trucks too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I had a bed installation party at my house when I installed the original steel bed on my car, because I didn't wish to scratch the paint anywhere. I think I had four guys over here, plus a couple more to watch. The front bed panel is very close to the back of the body. We got it on with no problems, and I had a case of beer and food to celebrate afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I plan on keeping the trunk since it is original to the car and some day I'll probably put it back on. Sounds like a steel bed for 25-27 is a little more involved than a wood bed then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

4 bolts and run wires if you are electric in the rear.

This one is a "vintage" box from the 20's that spent most of it's life in a barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:43 am:

Matthew, the metal 25 & 26-27 boxes are more complex than just the four bolts that hold the turtle deck on; there are bolts going through the body sides on them. Some of the accessory wooden beds do use just the four bolts, and these would be fine to use, so you can later return the car back to its original configuration.
I'm planning on doing this to my '25 myself. Although I have an incomplete, but mostly there, original 25 box, it requires too many alterations (holes) to the body sides, so I found a Perry wood bed that just needs the four deck bolts to install it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 06:10 am:

I too love trucks, made the switch from a turtle deck to a NOS pick-up steel box. The turtle deck/lid is in real nice shape and would like to trade the deck for a pair of 26'-27' pick-up box rear steel fenders even up. It's a two bolt hole mount set-up to the box and must be of equal condition. Interested give me a call 920-757-5529

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration